How does it work?
The U-M Department of Physics has their own Giving Blueday webpage that will accept donations from 12:00 am-11:59 PM on Wednesday, March 10th. On that date, simply click the button on the Physics Giving Blueday web page to donate. You may also share the link to donate with others through social media. Your contributions are integral to the continuing success and growth of the U-M Department of Physics.
Please support the Physics Strategic Fund
You can often hear a pop, snap, or crackle coming out of the Physics Demonstration Laboratory! The Demo Lab staff, as they are affectionately known, are hard at work fabricating innovative demonstrations to illustrate physics principles for faculty to use while teaching physics and astronomy classes. They also mentor students interested in creating demos for class credit. Donations to the Physics Strategic Fund help staff buy supplies to build world class demos.
Did you also know that support from this fund enables the Society for Women in Physics (SWIP) and the undergraduate Society of Physics Students (SPS) to host various outreach opportunities? You will see our students all over the Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti area at the Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum, The Diag, or in high school classrooms—inspiring the community by showcasing complex physics concepts in an approachable way.
In addition, Michigan Physics hosts large, public lectures such as the 2019 talk by Nobel Laureate Donna Strickland, who conveyed the importance of science literacy and acquainted us with the nonlinear optics that led to her Nobel Prize in 2018.
Here are ways you can make a difference on March 10th:
- Make a gift on our Physics page (gifts from 4-5 PM ET will help us win the LSA Power Hour and an extra $1,000 toward our fund)
- Join the LSA Zoom-a-thon at 4:00 PM ET to see some explosive demonstrations by Monika Wood, Manager of the Physics Demonstration Laboratory!
- Help us climb the LSA Leaderboard! The departments with the most donors earn special incentive dollars.
- At 3 PM, go to @UmichPhysics and retweet our post with #GivingBlueday. (The tweet that uses #GivingBlueday and receives the most retweets during this hour will win $1,000.)
- Spread the word! Post on social media using #GivingBlueday and our link: https://myumi.ch/lxA8D
Giving Blueday Challenges
The University is sponsoring many challenges throughout the day to encourage giving and make the greatest impact. Please see below for ways your donations can be matched.
- First-Time Donor Match: First time U-M donors who give $50 or more will receive a match of $50. Excludes students. First come first served. A maximum of $60,000 will be counted towards this challenge.
- Student Donor Match: Current student donors who give $25 or more will receive a match of $25. Excludes alumni. First come first served. A maximum of $50,000 will be counted towards this challenge.
Thank you for your support and remember, physics is for everyone!
If you’d like to support our popular Saturday Morning Physics program, you can make a gift here.
ONE DAY. ALL OF US. SUPPORT WHAT YOU ♥ ABOUT U-M. WHAT WILL YOU DO IN ONE DAY?