Physics has been taught at the University of Michigan since the autumn of 1843, under the name of "Natural Philosophy." At the time, the program consisted of eleven college juniors and two faculty members. The Physics Department, understandably, looks a lot different today. Housed in Randall and Homer A. Neal Laboratories on U-M Central Campus, the department's faculty of over fifty professors and lecturers instruct thousands of students a term under a diverse catalog of courses. Our graduate program, typically consisting of about 150 students, is central to the service, education, and community the program provides. Physics PhD students undergo five years of academic and professional training to earn their degree, all while participating on the frontline of new and exciting research.