Germany

All blog posts are by University of Michigan students who have participated in a CGIS program. The following blogs are students studying abroad in Germany.

Academic Year 2018

Zachary reflects on his year in Germany

I woke up this morning in a town near Karlsruhe, Germany which is obviously not Freiburg, but it is a city in the same German state as Freiburg that is only a less than-2 hour train ride away. I was invited to go to Karlsruhe by my roommate who lives in a small town near the city. He’s been my friend for a while now and he noticed that I once expressed interest to visit Karlsruhe. So yesterday we took the train from Freiburg to Karlsruhe and spent the day in the city. I stayed overnight in his home in the nearby village. 

Click here to learn more

Winter Term 2018

Amanda reflects on her semester in Germany

I also have found a community here.  Not personally knowing people in Tübingen was a heavy source of stress during my first few weeks. Now, however, I have two tandem partners; one for German and one for Russian, both of whom I’ve become good friends with. I have also formed relationships with my German roommates and a few Michigan students. I now have a sense of belonging here. I’ve also been taking advantage of opportunities to travel around Germany.  I’m doing a lot of hiking around Baden-Württemberg in the Black Forest, which is pristine.  It reminds me a lot of Michigan, especially all the time I used to spend in the Arb in Ann Arbor. I also found a beach nearby and have been going with some of my new friends on hot weekends.

Click here to read more