The Center for Global and Intercultural Study, known around campus simply as "CGIS," offers a wide range of programs to help you reach your academic, professional, and personal goals. This site provides information to help you select and apply to a study abroad program at the University of Michigan. From finances to health and safety to social identy, we will help you prepare for your experience abroad. 

Whether you want to develop the skills you’ll need to compete in a global economy, cultivate your language competencies, or build meaningful connections with people from around the world, this is the best time in your life for a global experience. Studying abroad often proves to be a pivotal experience, but deciding which program is the best fit can be daunting as you consider questions such as: How will this enhance my course of study? When should I go? For how long? Where? Can I afford it? How do I prepare? Will my credits transfer? CGIS advisors are here to help you with these and many other questions.

Do read over the CGIS policy section, which explains important topics such as credits and grades, billing, and our refund policy. If you cannot find the information you need, contact CGIS by email or telephone 734.764.4311.

By participating in a CGIS program:

• LSA students receive in-residence credit, just as if you had taken your courses here in Ann Arbor.
  • Most of your financial aid will transfer, and your aid package can be adjusted to account for additional expenses such as airfare, passport and visa fees, and immunizations.
  • LSA students who receive need-based aid are eligible for additional funding through LSA Scholarships, which recently has awarded over $1.7 million to students who apply for the LSA Study Abroad Scholarship.
  • You will receive expert advice and support before, during, and after your experience.

It is never too early to start planning your global education experience. Stop by the CGIS office today, in 200 Weiser Hall, right under the main lobby.