Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Credits & Transcripts


LSA Students: LSA students receive Michigan in-residence—not transfer—credit for participating in CGIS programs. Credits appear on their academic record and are applicable toward their UM degree. Non-LSA students should contact their home school or college concerning the applicability of LSA courses and Michigan in-residence credits.

Non-LSA Students: Non-LSA students should consult advisors within their home school or college about the type of credit they will receive and whether it fulfills college requirements.


At the end of a global study program, the overseas office or on-site staff send a record of students’ courses, credits, and grades to CGIS. We work with the registrar’s office to add these to UM transcripts. Courses are listed on students’ UM transcript with the CGIS program's STDABRD (Study Abroad) title and number followed by the individual course titles, credits, and grades as they correspond to the courses completed abroad. Credit hours and grades are converted whenever the grading/credit system from the abroad institution differs from UM's. Grades are calculated into overall GPA.

Depending on the program, it may take several weeks or months for student grades to appear on a UM transcript. This may delay the issuing of students’ diplomas.

CGIS is required to record and report all grades and courses taken abroad as posted on official transcripts and cannot delete or remove courses posted on an official transcript. Students should respect local academic practices and understand that most university systems outside the US do not allow students to contest grades. Consult the on-site staff if there are questions about local grading procedures.