The OS Program allows students to transfer any of the prerequisite courses for the OS Program (see note below concerning AP credit).
In addition, a maximum of two courses from other institutions (domestic or abroad) may be transferred to count toward OS major requirements.
To determine if a course is acceptable for transfer credit, first check the UM Transfer Credit Equivlency (TCE) websites to see if the class has already been approved for transfer.
UM Transfer Credit Equivalency (TCE) website for Michigan colleges/universities
UM Transfer Credit Equivalency (TCE) for non-Michigan colleges/universities
- If the class is listed on the TCE list as transferring as equivalent credit (PSYCH 280, for example), and the equivalent course appears on the OS curriculum list, no additional steps are required, and the course will be added to your OS audit checklist if you are admitted to the OS Program. If the class is listed as transferring as equivalent credit, but the equivalent course does not appear on the OS curriculum list, follow the same steps as outlined below for courses listed as departmental credit.
- If the class is listed as transferring as departmental credit (PSYCH DEPT, for example), then the course must be evaluated by OS faculty. Send an email requesting transfer credit review to email@example.com, and include the institution name, course number, course title, and course description (or syllabus if you have it).
If the class does not appear on the TCE list, it must be evaluated by the UM credit evaluators, or by the relevant department.
- If you are a current UM student, you may submit an evaluation request using the TCE request form
- If you are a transfer student not yet attending UM, you must submit the course to the relevant department for review (i.e., if it is a Sociology course, you must send it to that department first before having it evaluated for OS). Please check the relelvent department website for information on transfer credit review procedures. Once the relevant department has approved the course as either equivalent or departmental credit, follow the steps listed in the first section above.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions concerning this process.
NOTE FOR AP AND TRANSFER CREDIT FOR OS PREREQUISITES
- AP/IB credit in Psych and/or Microecon is acceptable to fulfill OS prereqs. AP Econ credit will appear as ECON 101X for 2 credits on your transcript, and while this is not considered exactly equivalent to Econ 101 at UM, it is acceptable for the OS prereq. If you plan to take further courses in Econ, however, you must complete Econ 101 at UM or take an equivalent transfer course at another college or university.
- Exact equivalent transfer credit from another college or university is accepted to fulfill any of the OS prerequisites. If you plan to complete a prerequisite course at another institution, you should see an OS prospective student advisor and review the UM Transfer Credit Equivalency Guides (see links above). Be especially cautious about online courses, as several UM depts will not accept courses taken online.