This page contains information for transfer students, and also for UM students wishing to transfer in courses to meet prereq or major requirements. Please review the information below and contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have further questions.
Transfer Students and OS Application Timing
OS welcomes applications from transfer students, but the timing can be tricky depending on when you transfer. It is best to contact email@example.com as early as possible in your considerations of transfer to UM.
Applications to the OS major for each upcoming fall term are due in the previous January, usually on MLK Day (third Monday in Jan). OS is considered to be a two-year program, so students usually apply in January of their sophomore year in order to start the program in the Fall of their junior year.
In order to be eligible to apply for the OS major, you must either already be attending UM, or if not already attending, we must have verification that you have been admitted to UM *before* our application deadline.
For those not yet attending UM in the January when they wish to apply to OS, special processing is required.
- First, notify OS that you plan to simultaneously apply to UM and to OS.
- Submit your UM applicaiton and all required materials to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions (OUA) by the December preceding the fall term you hope to attend (this is well before the actual transfer application deadline).
- OUA will request that you send an updated transcript showing your fall term grades.
- Work with your transfer institution to have an updated transcript sent to OUA just as soon as your fall grades are posted.
- OS will request that OUA expedite the decision on your UM application once your updated transcript arrives.
- You will want to prepare all materials for your OS application and have it ready to submit, since the timeline in January will be very tight.
- If you are admitted to UM, you will be notified and OS will be notified as well, hopefully within the first few weeks of January.
- You may submit your OS application as soon as your UM admission is approved.
The decision on admission to the OS major will be made in late February. The OS major decision does not impact the UM decision in any way. If not admitted to OS, you may simply choose another major to pursue during your studies at UM.
Transfer Credit (UM Students or Transfer Students)
The OS Program allows students to transfer any of the prerequisite courses for the OS Program (see note below concerning AP credit).
In addition, a maximum of two courses from other institutions (domestic or abroad) may be transferred to count toward OS major requirements.
To determine if a course is acceptable for transfer credit, first check the UM Transfer Credit Equivlency (TCE) websites to see if the class has already been approved for transfer.
UM Transfer Credit Equivalency (TCE) website for Michigan colleges/universities
UM Transfer Credit Equivalency (TCE) for non-Michigan colleges/universities
- If the class is listed on the TCE list as transferring as equivalent credit (PSYCH 280, for example), and the equivalent course appears on the OS curriculum list, no additional steps are required, and the course will be added to your OS audit checklist if you are admitted to the OS Program. If the class is listed as transferring as equivalent credit, but the equivalent course does not appear on the OS curriculum list, follow the same steps as outlined below for courses listed as departmental credit.
- If the class is listed as transferring as departmental credit (PSYCH DEPT, for example), then the course must be evaluated by OS faculty. Send an email requesting transfer credit review to firstname.lastname@example.org, and include the institution name, course number, course title, and course description (or syllabus if you have it).
If the class does not appear on the TCE list, it must be evaluated by the UM credit evaluators, or by the relevant department.
- If you are a current UM student, you may submit an evaluation request using the TCE request form
- If you are a transfer student not yet attending UM, you must submit the course to the relevant department for review (i.e., if it is a Sociology course, you must send it to that department first before having it evaluated for OS). Please check the relelvent department website for information on transfer credit review procedures. Once the relevant department has approved the course as either equivalent or departmental credit, follow the steps listed in the first section above.
Contact email@example.com with any questions concerning this process.
NOTE FOR AP AND TRANSFER CREDIT FOR OS PREREQUISITES
- AP/IB credit in Psych and/or Microecon is acceptable to fulfill OS prereqs. AP Econ credit will appear as ECON 101X for 2 credits on your transcript, and while this is not considered exactly equivalent to Econ 101 at UM, it is acceptable for the OS prereq. If you plan to take further courses in Econ, however, you must complete Econ 101 at UM or take an equivalent transfer course at another college or university.
- Exact equivalent transfer credit from another college or university is accepted to fulfill any of the OS prerequisites. If you plan to complete a prerequisite course at another institution, you should see an OS prospective student advisor and review the UM Transfer Credit Equivalency Guides (see links above).