Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Transfer Students and Transfer Credit

This page contains information for transfer students, and also for UM students wishing to transfer in courses to meet prereq or major requirements.  Please review the information below and contact if you have further questions.  

Transfer Students and OS Application Timing


Deadline Extension!
For transfer students in the process of transferring to UM for Fall term 2023, the OS application deadline has been extended to Feb 1, 2023.

Transfer students applying for Fall term 2023 under the extended deadline must still meet OS prerequisite requirements for applicaiton (see Explore, Prepare, Apply in left-hand menu)

OS welcomes applications from transfer students, but the timing can be tricky depending on when you transfer and how many credits you have earned.  It is best to contact as early as possible in your considerations of transfer to UM to get information specific to your situation.

Applications to the OS major for each upcoming fall term are due in the previous January, usually on MLK Day (third Monday in Jan).  OS is considered to be a two-year program, so students usually apply in January of their sophomore year in order to start the program in the Fall of their junior year. 

For those not yet attending UM in the January when they wish to apply to OS, special processing may be required. If you are transferring to UM with more than a year's worth of college credit (transferring as a late sophomore or junior), then you will want to submit your UM application and your OS application at the same time.

  • First, notify OS that you plan to simultaneously apply to UM and to OS (starting at UM in the fall term, and wanting to start the OS program in that same first fall term at UM).
  • We prefer that you submit your UM application and all required materials to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions (OUA) by the December preceding the fall term you hope to attend (this is well before the actual transfer application deadline of Feb 1).  If you are not able to apply to UM in December, please contact the OS office to let us know.
  • Work with your transfer institution to have an updated transcript sent to OUA just as soon as your fall grades are posted.
  • OS will request that OUA expedite the decision on your UM application once your updated transcript arrives.
  • You will want to prepare all materials for your OS application and have it ready to submit.  It is helpful to our office if you submit your OS application by the official deadline of MLK Day (third Monday in January), but if you are not able to meet that deadline, please contact the OS office for information on possible deadline extensions.
  • You should notify OS immediately when you receive your application decision from UM so that we can update our records.

The decision on admission to the OS major will be made in late February.  The OS major decision does not impact the UM decision in any way.  If not admitted to OS, you may simply choose another major to pursue during your studies at UM.

Transfer Credit  (UM Students or Transfer Students)

The OS Program allows students to transfer any of the prerequisite courses for the OS Program (see note below concerning AP credit). 

In addition, a maximum of two courses from other institutions (domestic or abroad) may be transferred to count toward OS major requirements.  

To determine if a course is acceptable for transfer credit, first check the UM Transfer Credit Equivlency (TCE) websites to see if the class has already been approved for transfer.  
UM Transfer Credit Equivalency (TCE) website for Michigan colleges/universities
UM Transfer Credit Equivalency (TCE) for non-Michigan colleges/universities

  • If the class is listed on the TCE list as transferring as equivalent credit (PSYCH 280, for example), and the equivalent course appears on the OS curriculum list, no additional steps are required, and the course will be added to your OS audit checklist if you are admitted to the OS Program.  If the class is listed as transferring as equivalent credit, but the equivalent course does not appear on the OS curriculum list, follow the same steps as outlined below for courses listed as departmental credit.
  • If the class is listed as transferring as departmental credit (PSYCH DEPT, for example), then the course must be evaluated by OS faculty.  Send an email requesting transfer credit review to, and include the institution name, course number, course title, and course description (or syllabus if you have it).  

If the class does not appear on the TCE list, it must be evaluated by the UM credit evaluators, or by the relevant department.

  • If you are a current UM student, you may submit an evaluation request using the TCE request form 

  • If you are a transfer student not yet attending UM, you must submit the course to the relevant department for review (i.e., if it is a Sociology course, you must send it to that department first before having it evaluated for OS).  Please check the relelvent department website for information on transfer credit review procedures.  Once the relevant department has approved the course as either equivalent or departmental credit, follow the steps listed in the first section above.

Contact with any questions concerning this process.


  • AP/IB credit in Psych and/or Microecon is acceptable to fulfill OS prereqs.  AP Econ credit will appear as ECON 101X for 2 credits on your transcript, and while this is not considered exactly equivalent to Econ 101 at UM, it is acceptable for the OS prereq.  If you plan to take further courses in Econ, however, you must complete Econ 101 at UM or take an equivalent transfer course at another college or university. 
  • Exact equivalent transfer credit from another college or university is accepted to fulfill any of the OS prerequisites.  If you plan to complete a prerequisite course at another institution, you should see an OS prospective student advisor and review the UM Transfer Credit Equivalency Guides (see links above).