Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Transfer Credit


The OS Program allows a maximum of two courses from other institutions (domestic or abroad) to be transferred to count toward OS major requirements.  

To determine if a course is acceptable for transfer credit, first check the UM Transfer Credit Equivlency (TCE) website to see if the class has already been approved for transfer.

UM Transfer Credit Equivalency (TCE) website for US colleges/universities

UM Transfer Credit Equivalency (TCE) website for external study abroad programs
(includes study abroad programs offered through other universities or third-party providers)

  • If the class is listed on the TCE as transferring as equivalent credit (for example: PSYCH 280), and the equivalent course appears on the OS curriculum list, no additional steps are required, and the course will be added to your OS audit checklist. If the class is listed as transferring at equivalent credit, but the equivalent course does not appear on the OS curriculum list, follow the same steps as outlined below for courses listed as departmental credit.

  • If the class is listed as transferring as departmental credit (for example: PSYCH DEPT), then the course must be evaluated by OS faculty.  Send an email requesting transfer credit review to, and include the institution name, course number, course title, and course description (or syllabus if you have it).  

If the class does not appear on the TCE list, it must be evaluated by the UM credit evaluators, or by the relevant department.

  • If you are a current UM student, you may submit an evaluation request using the TCE request form

  • If you are a transfer student not yet attending UM, you must submit the course to the relevant department for review (i.e., if it is a Sociology course, you must send it to that department first before having it evaluated for OS).  Please check the relelvent department website for information on transfer credit review procedures.  Once the relevant department has approved the course as either equivalent or departmental credit, follow the steps listed in the first section above.

Contact with any questions concerning this process.