The PhD program offers admission for the fall term only. Our application process is handled centrally through the University of Michigan's Rackham Graduate School. Your application must be submitted with the Rackham Graduate School application process by 11:59pm EST on December 15.
All admissions materials (application and supplemental materials) must be received by the Rackham Graduate School by the December 15th deadline. This includes application, all official transcripts, test scores (GRE, TOEFL, IELTS), and all three letters of recommendations. There are no exceptions to this deadline.
There is no separate application form for financial aid. Access to the online application is at the Rackham Graduate School's Admissions Website
All applicants must submit the following material:
- Application Form (including Academic Statement of Purpose, Personal Statement, and CV)
- Application Fee
- Transcripts of all post‐secondary institutions attended. This means you are required to include a scanned image of your transcripts with the online application. A scanned copy of an official student copy, provided to you by the Registrar’s Office, is acceptable for initial review ONLY. The Rackham Graduate School requires applicants to submit an official transcript (either hard copy or official electronic transcript) for any admission offer to be released. Please be prepared to for those to be received and processed by the Rackham Graduate School by the December 15th deadline. Check their web site at www.rackham.umich.edu for further details.
- Three letters of recommendation. If you are currently attending a graduate program, two of those three letters must be submitted from faculty in that graduate program. All three letters must be submitted through the online application system by 11:59pm EST on December 15.
- Valid, official score reports of TOEFL (if applicable) sent by ETS to code 1839 - no departmental code is needed.
Do NOT submit the following material to the Economics Department specifically:
- Unofficial transcript(s) printed from your institution’s student portal (a screen print of a transcript)
- List of textbooks from your coursework
- List of economics, mathematics, and statistics courses and grades
- Writing sample other than your Academic Statement of Purpose and your Personal Statement
- Paper copy of GRE and/or TOEFL score reports
The application evaluation process for the doctoral program in economics is done online.
NOTE: The doctoral admissions committee reviews applications for admissions electronically.
- ALL documents must be uploaded through the Rackham Graduate School application.
- Do not send any hard-copy transcripts or materials to the Economics department either by postal mail or email.
For current U-M PhD students interested in setting up an Individually Interdepartmental Degree program (IIDP), also known as the Student Initiated Degree Program (SIDP), and adding Economics as a dual degree with your home program, please see our joint programs page or the Rackham Website regarding this unique program.
For questions regarding admissions please send an email to email@example.com
For questions regarding your specific application status or which application materials have arrived, please check your Wolverine Access Friend Account under "New and Prospective Student Business." Instructions on setting up your Friend Account and how to check your status are here.