Frank Morris Memorial Award Fund

Frank E. Morris was born in 1923 in Detroit, Michigan. After surviving the Great Depression and serving as a navigator on B-24’s during WW-II in England (where he flew 27 missions over Germany and France, including support on D-Day), Frank returned home and used his GI benefits to earn a degree from Wayne State University before coming to the University of Michigan for his Masters’ and Doctorate in Economics in 1955. “I knew I didn’t want to be an engineer” he said, “I took a course in economics and that decided it. I think my experience in the Depression had something to do with it; I wanted to know why that had happened. Economics seemed to be something that had the capacity to lead the way to a better life for the American people.”

Frank then went on to a career in Washington D.C. with the Treasury Department, serving during the Kennedy administration, before moving to Boston where he later served as the President of Boston Federal Reserve Bank for 20 years before passing in January, 2000.

The Frank Morris Memorial Award Fund aims to support graduate student research and fellowship with a focus on monetary and/or banking policy.