The Premodern Colloquium. Imperial Logistics and Comparative Racialization in Colonial Mexico

Daniel Nemser, U-M Romance Languages and Literatures
Sunday, January 29, 2023
4:00-6:00 PM
Virtual
This paper draws from a section from the chapter I had intended to share (“Divisions of labor”), and does some of the groundwork for another chapter that I’m only just beginning to think about (“Translation and solidarity”). Overall, the book is structured around the building of an important new leg of the camino real or royal road in colonial Mexico, and the conflicts and fantasies that emerged along and around it as a result. I’d be interested to hear people’s comments about the arguments about race and comparative racialization as method; about early modern imperial logistics as a framework; about the relation between infrastructure and indigenous labor; and about the translation of techniques from the northern “frontier” to the colonial "core."
Building: Off Campus Location
Location: Virtual
Event Type: Workshop / Seminar
Tags: history, Latin America, Literature, Research
Source: Happening @ Michigan from Medieval and Early Modern Studies (MEMS), Romance Languages & Literatures, Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies

Do you have an event or information you'd like us to forward to our students and/or the entire RLL community? Send to rll.weekly@umich.edu