Let's get to know Lydia...

Hometown: Herndon, Virginia

Major/Minor: Sociology major; Community Action and Social Change (CASC) Minor

What inspired you to major in Sociology?

I came into college undecided on my major, but I had a feeling that Sociology was the route I wanted to pursue because of my ultimate goal of going into social work. I hoped that, by majoring in Sociology, I would gain the knowledge and skills necessary to better understand and combat societal issues. The wide range of subjects offered under the Sociology umbrella appealed to me, as I have developed a deeper commitment to social justice from all of my Sociology coursework.

What classes have you most enjoyed?

I am grateful to have been able to take all of the Sociology courses that I have throughout my undergraduate years, taught by passionate professors who have prioritized flexibility during the COVID-19 pandemic. Some of my most memorable courses include Sociology 320 & 321 (IGR Facilitation & Practicum) because they allowed me to expand my dialogic and facilitation skills, while giving me the ability to introduce the power of intergroup dialogue to fellow undergraduate students. Additionally, courses involving sociology's relation to work (440 and 451) have been eye-opening, and as a woman about to enter the workforce, I especially appreciated these courses' emphasis on gender discrimination and their overlap with women's and gender studies. Finally, I am currently enrolled in Sociology 458 (Sociology of Education), which I am thoroughly enjoying because of my interest in social work within school settings and my desire to expand my knowledge of educational inequities.

How has Sociology helped you to understand the pandemics the U.S. is currently facing: COVID-19 and/or systemic racism?

Using a sociological lens in the context of COVID-19 and systemic racism in the U.S. has allowed me to see how injustice can occur at all levels -- individually, interpersonally, and institutionally -- and how such problems require multifaceted solutions. In addition, I have gained a better understanding of my own social identities and the dynamics of privilege and oppression and how those fit into the broader context of both pandemics and how I can serve as a change agent.

Have you participated in undergraduate research, fieldwork, or an internship experience?

Through classes I took within UM's Sociology Department, I was able to participate in an internship and a research project. I took Sociology 225 (Project Community) during my first year, in which I was an intern at an Ann Arbor elementary school. In this role, I acted similarly to a student teacher, in which I provided individualized support to fifth grade students and assisted their teacher in facilitating classroom activities. This hands-on internship experience inspired me to enroll in Psychology 325 (Detroit Initiative) in a later semester, in which I was an intern for the Bailey Park Neighborhood Development Corporation. In this role, I researched demographics of the community's census tract, formulated a multi-method community-based research study focusing on homelessness, and helped construct an oral history depository through interviewing senior residents. As for research, during my time in Sociology 310 (Research Methods) as a senior, I delved into the relationship between legacy status and admissions results at UM, in hopes of detecting broader trends of educational inequality.

What do you hope to do after graduating from the University of Michigan?

After graduating from Michigan, I plan to attend UM's School of Social Work and obtain a Master of Social Work along the Welfare of Children and Families Pathway. In addition, I will continue my work with Best Buddies (an organization dedicated to providing opportunities for friendship, employment, inclusive housing, etc. to people with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities) through my role on the Michigan Advisory Board for the next two years.

Do you have advice for prospective Soc majors in this moment?

I would advise all Sociology majors to take advantage of the resources offered to them within the department. From connections with professors to meaningful internship/job opportunities, the department has ample opportunities to expand students' commitment to social justice and put what they learn in the classroom to use in the real world.