- Academic Policies and Processes
- Curriculum and Courses
- Financial Aid Resources
- Honors Program
- Law, Justice, and Social Change
- Major of the Month
- Project Community
- Sociology and Social Work Subplan
- Sociology of Health & Medicine
- Sociology Major
- Sociology Opportunities for Undergraduate Leaders (SOUL)
- Sociology Undergraduate Research Opportunity - SOC 394
- Student Organizations
- Study Abroad
- Transfer Students and Transfer Credit
- What can I do with a Sociology degree?
- Writing Awards
The Department of Sociology at the University of Michigan enthusiastically welcomes transfer students into our major and minors. We have found transfer students to be some of the most dedicated and successful students in our department, and we are here to assist before and during your time at the University of Michigan.
If you have taken Sociology courses before, chances are you have already completed coursework that can count toward the Sociology major or minors. Check the Transfer Credit Equivalency website to determine what your previous coursework will count as:
- Courses listed as transferring for direct credit (i.e. SOC 100) will appear as that course on your UM transcript
- Courses listed as "SOC DEPT" will automatically count as elective credits for the major. If you would like the course to count as a Sociology pre-req, requirement, or subplan elective, you need to submit a course petition form along with a current syllabus to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Detailed information about transfer credits can be found here.
Opportunities in the Department of Sociology
We strongly encourage transfer students to participate in all opportunities offered by the department, including:
Questions and Advising
We would be happy to meet with you to discuss any questions about the major, department opportunities, or transfer credits. Please email email@example.com or schedule an advising appointment through the Advising Appointment Calendar.