- Sociology Major
- Law, Justice, and Social Change
- Sociology of Health & Medicine
- Sociology & Social Work
- Major of the Month
- What can I do with a Sociology degree?
- Academic Policies and Processes
- Curriculum and Courses
- Project Community
- Sociology Undergraduate Research Opportunity - SOC 394
- Honors Program
- Sociology Opportunities for Undergraduate Leaders (SOUL)
- Transfer Students and Transfer Credit
- Study Abroad
- Financial Aid Resources
- Writing Awards
The Department of Sociology at the University of Michigan welcomes transfer students into our major and minors. We have found transfer students to be some of the most dedicated and successful students in our department, and we are here to assist during your time at the University of Michigan.
Check the Transfer Credit Equivalency website to determine if your previous coursework will transfer to Michigan and how the credits will post on your transcript:
- Courses listed as transferring for direct credit (i.e. SOC 100) will appear as that course on your UM transcript
- Courses listed as "SOC DEPT" at the 200-level or higher (SOC 201X) will count as elective credits for the major
- If you would like to request for courses to count as a Sociology pre-req, stats requirement, or submajor elective, submit a course petition form along with a current syllabus to firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Petitions will not be reviewed unless complete syllabi are attached, i.e. they MUST include a reading list and an outline of weekly topics.
More information about transfer credits can be found here.
Opportunities in the Department of Sociology
We strongly encourage transfer students to participate in all opportunities offered by the department, including: