Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Academic & Registration Policies

Undergraduate Registration FAQ

Q: How do I get into the _______ lecture and discussion/lab of my choice if it is closed?
A: For courses without waitlists, please monitor Wolverine Access and the LSA course guide for openings (other students may drop or switch sections). If the course has waitlists, follow waitlist instructions. SOC 310 and SOC 305 have manual waitlists - email

Q: The discussion/lab in a course that I am currently enrolled in does not fit my schedule. May I switch to another discussion/lab?
A: Yes, if the alternative discussion/lab has open seats. If seats are not available in another section, please monitor Wolverine Access for openings (other students may drop or switch sections), and follow waitlist instructions. Note that you cannot be enrolled in a discussion/lab and waitlisted for another discussion/lab at the same time.

Q: If I enroll in a discussion/lab but that time slot does not fit my schedule, may I attend another discussion/lab?
A: No. You must attend the discussion or lab that you registered for. Instructors will not assign grades for students who are not on their official class rosters.

Q: I need a certain course in order to graduate on time. May I get an override?
A: Major and minor planning sequences are flexible and students should plan ahead. However, if needed, contact to explain your situation and inquire about overrides. Instructor permission may be required.

Q: I have not yet declared a major, but I am planning on declaring. I would like to enroll in a class that is reserved for Sociology students.  What can I do?
A: For SOC 305 and SOC 310, students must be declared majors to enroll. Contact to inquire about manual waitlists and overrides. We give declared juniors and seniors registration priority. 

Q: I am not planning on majoring or minoring in Sociology and I would like to enroll in a class that is reserved for Sociology students.  What can I do?
A: In general, these courses are best suited for Sociology students and permissions are generally not granted for non-majors.

Q: A course is listed as open, but the spots are reserved for MCSP students. I am not an MSCP student. Can I still enroll in the course?
A: The course will open to all students after MCSP students’ registration appointments have finished.  

Q: I’m trying to enroll in SOC 100/102 but Wolverine Access is saying the class is only open to freshman and sophomores. Can I enroll?
A: Only students with freshman or sophomore standing per LSA academic policies may enroll in SOC 100/102. If you have junior or senior standing, you should enroll in SOC 300 or SOC 302. If you are a transfer student, email

Q: I’m trying to enroll in SOC 300/302 but Wolverine Access is saying the class is only open to juniors and seniors. Can I enroll?
A: Only students with junior or senior standing per LSA academic policies may enroll in SOC 300/302. If you have freshman or sophomore standing, you should enroll in SOC 100/102. If you are a transfer student, email

Q: I am a student interested in entering medical school and I need a Sociology course as an application prerequisite. Which course should I choose?
A: The department has designed a course specifically for students in this situation—SOC 302: Health and Society, An Introduction to Sociology. 

Q: I’m a freshman or sophomore pre-med student. May I get an override for SOC 302?
A: Only students with junior or senior standing per LSA academic policies may enroll in SOC 302.

Waitlists and Overrides

The Department of Sociology keeps close tabs on the enrollment in undergraduate courses. During registration, students on waitlists are automatically issued overrides as seats become available. Students still on the waitlist may receive permission to register from the instructor if they are willing to increase class capacity. SOC 305 and SOC 310 have manual waitlists (email to get on the list). 

An electronic override is not a guaranteed seat in the course. The student must enroll in the course via the Wolverine Access registration system. Electronic overrides expire after one business day (unless otherwise noted). If the electronic permission to enroll is not used within this timeframe, the next student on the waitlist will receive an electronic permission. Waitlist priority for required courses (SOC 210, 305, 310) goes to majors in order of descending class standing (i.e. seniors first).

Waitlist priority for all other undergraduate SOC courses goes to majors/minors in order of waitlist date, then non-declared students in order of waitlist date. 

Grade Grievances

The Department of Sociology has confidence in the qualifications and judgment of its faculty and believes the instructor is in the best position to determine the quality of a student’s work. Nevertheless, there are instances when a student feels that their academic performance has been unfairly or improperly graded. When this situation arises, discussion and arbitration can help ascertain if there is a wrong which should be righted. However, it is ultimately only the course instructor who can determine the substantive value of a student’s performance, and only the instructor can change the grade, except when a faculty member has left the institution. In that event, the Undergraduate Director will resolve the problem with the student.

To successfully appeal a grade, the student must make the case a grade was unjustly assigned and substantially different from the grade that was justified. The difference between an A- and a B+ is not, for example, a substantial difference. Dissatisfaction with a grade alone is not sufficient for an appeal nor, except in extraordinary circumstances, will appeals be heard where a student has not attended class regularly or turned in all required work.  

Grade appeal procedures are available only for review of alleged capricious grading, and not for review of the judgment of an instructor in assessing the quality of a student’s work. Capricious grading constitutes any of the following: the assignment of a grade to a particular student on some basis other than course performance; the assignment of a grade to a particular student by more exacting or demanding standards than were applied to other students in that course; or the assignment of a grade by a substantial departure from the instructor’s previously announced standards. Changes in course or examination requirements that apply equally to all students shall not ordinarily be grounds for an individual student’s grievance.  

The first step in any grade grievance is to speak with the instructor of the course. If you think you have a case for grieving a grade, email and carefully review LSA grade grievance procedural information here

Academic Misconduct

Academic misconduct in Department of Sociology courses will be appropriately sanctioned and reported in accordance with LSA policies. It is the responsibility of every student to know what constitutes academic misconduct and how to avoid it.

What is academic misconduct? Academic misconduct includes, but is not limited to:

  • cheating
  • plagiarism
  • unacceptable collaboration
  • falsification of data, records, and/or official documents
  • aiding and abetting another’s academic dishonesty

What are some examples of each kind of academic misconduct? (pdf)

How can I avoid plagiarism in my coursework? (pdf)

What happens if I violate the LSA standards for academic integrity? The LSA Assistant Dean has the authority to impose sanctions such as community service, notation on a student’s official academic record, permanent expulsion, and even withholding a student’s degree.