Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$root.page}}

FTVM Major

What Is a FTVM Major?

The undergraduate major in the Department of Film, Television, and Media is an integrated major in screen studies (film, television, and new media) and production. Students' coursework is divided between studies and creative, hands-on practice. 

FTVM Students Engage in Study (FTVM 150, left) and Production (FTVM 301)

Students in Matthew Solomon’s FTVM 150 lecture watch an oncoming train rush past them during a screening of one of the Lumière brothers’ early experiments with 3D motion picture technology.

FTVM 301 Documentary students learn the ins and outs of the Panasonic AG-160 as David Marek discusses techniques for shooting 2 camera interviews.

What Are the Prerequisites for the FTVM Major?

Students interested in pursuing a FTVM Major must first complete the following prerequistie course with a grade of C- or higher:

FTVM 150 - Introduction to Film, Television, and Media  (4 credits)

The final project for FTVM 150 is an audiovisual essay for which students are asked to create a three-five minute original argument about one of the films or television episodes screened for the course. At the end of the term, the best essays are selected by the GSI team to compete in a festival, with winners in different categories determined by the audience. This year's Best of Festival Award (FALL 22) went to Bao Polkowski for “Run Lola Run: A Videogame Movie." 

What Are the Requirements for the FTVM Major?

How Do I Declare a FTVM Major?

In order to declare the FTVM major, students are encouraged to attend our declaration event, I.AM.FTVM, in either the fall or winter term. These events take place shortly after midterm time and prior to registration for the next term. Students may attend to declare the Department of Film, Television, and Media (FTVM) major if they are achieving a C- or above in the pre-requisite course FTVM 150 at the time of declaration.

JOIN us for the next I.AM.FTVM
Thursday, March 28, 2024
11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.

North Quad, Studio A

Declare your FTVM major or GMS minor; learn more about our department offerings (honors, internships, and classes); and get involved in student organizations. 

I.AM.FTVM - FALL 2023

I.AM.FTVM - WINTER 2023