- Prospective Students
- FTVM Major
- Global Media Studies Minor
- Screenwriting Sub-Major
- FTVM Honors Program
- Study Abroad
- Transfer Credit
- Scholarships, Awards & Grants
- Film & Video Student Association
- WOLV TV
- Studio Spotlight
- Student Productions
- Guest Artists and Scholars @ FTVM
- 2021 Graduation Celebration
The Department of the Department of Film, Television, and Media integrates critical studies and creative production in film, television, and new media. We invite leading screenwriters, filmmakers, directors, animators, experimental and media artists, and renowned academic scholars from around the world to share their experiences and insights with our FTVM majors through lectures, workshops, and discussions.
Our guest artists and scholars give our majors an extraordinary opportunity to hear about the intricacies of the industry and academia from a variety of perspectives.
Oscar-Winning Visiting Artists
When Kemp Powers was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay for ONE NIGHT IN MIAMI in 2021, he became the latest visiting artist to be nominated for either Best Original or Best Adapted Screenplay. Four of those screenplays would result in Best Picture Awards as well. In total, 21 visiting writers and writer-directors have been nominated for one or more Screenwriting Academy Awards and 11 would win the Oscar.
Check Out the Complete List Here
WINNERS of BEST ORIGINAL OR ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
(*indicates BEST PICTURE)
- Kurt Luedtke - OUT OF AFRICA* - (also nominated for ABSENCE OF MALICE)
- John Briley - GANDHI*
- Aaron Sorkin - THE SOCIAL NETWORK* (also nominated for MONEYBALL, TRIAL OF
- Tom McCarthy - SPOTLIGHT* (also nominated for UP)
- John Patrick Shanley - MOONSTRUCK (also nominated for DOUBT)
- Spike Jonze - HER (also nominated for directing BEING JOHN MALKOVICH)
- Christopher McQuarrie - THE USUAL SUSPECTS
- Bruce Joel Rubin - GHOST
- Alexander Payne - SIDEWAYS and THE DESCENDANTS (also nominated for ELECTION)
- Spike Lee - BLACKkKLANSMAN
- Michael Moore - BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE (also nominated for SICKO)
NOMINATED FOR BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY OR BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
- Kemp Powers - ONE NIGHT IN MIAMI (also co-writer and co-director of SOUL, nominatedfor Best Animated Picture this year).
- Lawrence Kasdan - THE BIG CHILL, THE ACCIDENTAL TOURIST, GRAND CANYON
- Barbara Benedek - THE BIG CHILL
- Richard Friedenburg - A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT
- Spike Lee - DO THE RIGHT THING
- Nora Ephron - WHEN HARRY MET SALLY, SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE, SILKWOOD
- Joe Stillman - SHREK
- John Sayles - LONE STAR, PASSION FISH
- Josh Olson - A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE
- Peter Hedges - ABOUT A BOY
- Billy Ray - CAPTAIN PHILLIPS
It's fair to say that the James Gindin Visiting Artist Series and the Peter and Barbara
Benedek Artists in Residence Series have been worth their weight in gold!
This is but a fraction of the many talented screenwriter and television writers who speak to our students and work with them in master classes every year.
In addition, we have brought in such notable studio heads as Robert Shaye (founder and former CEO of New Line Cinema) and Jonathan Glickman (former President of MGM Motions Pictures Group), and producers Lynda Obst, Stacey Sher, Niija Kuykendall, Marc Platt, Gary Gilbert, and Dan Janvey who have all played a major role in Oscar history with several best picture nominations between them, including New Line’s THE LORD OF THE RINGS TRILOGY which won 17 Oscars all by itself including Best Picture for THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING.
Mr.Janvey is nominated for Best Picture this year (2021) for NOMADLAND and Mr. Platt for THE TRIAL OF THE CHICAGO 7.