Undergraduates

What Distinguishes the Department of Film, Television, and Media?

In contrast to a traditional film school or art school model, the Department of Film, Television, and Media integrates critical studies and creative production in film, television, and new media within a large world-class university. Within this department, students can elect courses in studies, production, and/or screenwriting. 

The Department of Film, Television, and Media is one of the 75 academic units in the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts (LSA). Students interested in majoring in the Department of Film, Television, and Media must first apply to LSA and be accepted into the college. At that point, they may begin taking our classes. 

Please note that a creative portfolio is not required, nor are we able to accept one as a supplement to your application. 

Our Undergraduates in Action

Are you wondering what our FTVM classes look like, what kinds of production projects our students create, and what our studies program includes? Click the button below to view snapshots of our students...in the studios and beyond. 

What Our Students Say About Us 

Click on each photo to read the student's full testimonial 

Haleigh Bauer 

"Being a part of the Department of Film, Television, and Media department was one of the most meaningful parts of my experience at U of M."

Taylor Brooks 

"Before I had even declared my FTVM major, I had felt welcome to and supported by the Department of Film, Television, and Media community."

Sam Rosenberg 

"Being a FTVM major has really allowed me to exercise my passion for film and television, as well as my creative energies, through the variety and quality of classes that are offered in the program."

Madison Fyke 

"With instrumental help from the FTVM faculty and staff, I became a better student, a better worker, and a better writer. The students here learn to collaborate, create, and grow together as aspiring filmmakers."