Grace Uhl

Year: Junior

Majors: History of Art, International Studies

Internship: Collections Intern at the Guggenheim Venice

What: Uhl provides important support to the Guggenheim’s daily operations, leading tours in both English and Italian, and guiding kids programs.

Every day, Grace Uhl walks by Venice’s waterways, darting through throngs of tourists, to make it into the Guggenheim’s Venice galleries for her internship. (“One of the most important skills I’ve learned here is how to navigate through a crowd!” she says.) Once inside, Uhl strolls by a sculpture by Constantin Brancusi and painting by Jackson Pollock and thinks back to her art history classes at Michigan. “We talked about all of these works that I’m now seeing and hanging out with in the galleries,” she said.

Uhl’s collections internship at the Guggenheim’s Italian outpost has only reinforced her desire to work in the art world, and allowed her to perfect her Italian. There, she guards the galleries and dresses the paintings in pajamas at night. The Opportunity Hub provided support from start to finish, sourcing the internship, reviewing her application, and helping her find funding through the Samo Alajbegovic Fellowship. “Even though they’re an ocean away, I feel very supported by the Hub while I’m in Venice,” she said.