Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

About our Building

The North University Building, or commonly referred to as "the NUB", was acquired by the University of Michigan in 1925 and constructed almost entirely out of Limestone.  The building is located on the corner of University Avenue and Church Street, directly behind the Central Campus Transit Center (CCTC).

The exterior of the North University Building features sculptures designed and created by American artist Ulysses Ricci (1888-1960). Flanking the front door are panels with mirror images of mermen, holding implements symbolizing medicine, such as mortar and pestle. At the top on the parapet are two panels featuring a caduceus, eagles and heads of men in profile. The caduceus reflects the original use of this building as the Medical School. In addition there are decorative reliefs in the spandrels as well as lion’s-head gargoyles along the cornice, which are similar to those on the Ruthven Museums Building. Ulysses Ricci, whose initials are carved in the two panels of mermen, was also the sculptor of the medallions on Hatcher Library, the bas reliefs on Angell Hall, and the corbel figures in the Law Quad

From President's Advisory Committee on Public Art