- Application Information
- FALL Preview
- The MS program
- The PhD program
- Coursework (MS and PhD)
- Mentoring (MS and PhD)
- The Qualifying Exam (PhD)
- Graduate Student Instructors (GSIs)
- Research and Travel Funding
- Departmental Policies
- Student Publications and Awards
- Resources for Graduate Students
- Graduate Program Statistics
- Professional Development
- Scholarships & Fellowships
Promoting diversity and inclusion in the earth and environmental sciences is a key mission of the Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences (EARTH). EARTH organizes in October of every year the ForALL Preview event, several months before graduate student application are due. FALL Preview provides an opportunity for college juniors, seniors, and recently graduated students with a BS or MS degree to explore graduate school and our department. We are particularly interested in applications from students who are eligible for a Rackham Merit Fellowship Award.
FALL Preview is open to US citizens and non-citizens and held virtually (via Zoom) to give students around the world the opportunity to
- get information about the graduate school application and admissions processes.
- learn about EARTH's MS and PhD programs.
- meet faculty and current graduate students and learn about their research.
- get a sense of academic life at the University of Michigan and in EARTH.
This year the FALL Preview event is on October 20–21, 2022.
The application deadline is Monday, September 12, 2022 (11:59 PM EDT)
An application includes
- personal information.
- their areas of interest (Climate Change & Paleoclimate; Environmental Sciences & Hydrology; Geobiology; Geochronology & Thermochronology; Geology, Structural Geology & Tectonics; Geophysics & Seismology; Low-Temperature Geochemistry; Mineralogy, Petrology & High-Temperature Geochemistry; Oceanography; Paleontology).
- contact information for a reference.
- transcript(s) (unofficial documents are acceptable).
- three essays (one optional, 250 word limit per essay) which explain
1. academic experiences that an applicant has found particularly valuable and enjoyable.
2. the applicant's interest in attending an Earth & Environmental Sciences graduate program.
3. (optional) the applicant's potential for success in graduate school that may not be reflected by the GPA or standardized test scores.
Fee waiver – We will waive the application fee to the Rackham Graduate School for all students who are selected to participate in our FALL Preview program.
Details to come – A detailed schedule for the FALL Preview in October 2022 will be posted in early October.
Questions? – Contact firstname.lastname@example.org