Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Financial Aid

For many students, a study abroad experience is possible only with financial assistance.

A variety of funding sources are available to help CGIS students cover program-related expenses. Eligibility depends on your program and your unique financial situation. Consult your CGIS advisor and visit the U-M Aid and Scholarships and the Additional Scholarships sections of the site to learn more about relevant scholarship opportunities.

LSA Study Abroad Scholarship

The LSA Scholarship Office has worked with CGIS to ensure that students who are in good academic standings can apply for the LSA Study Abroad Scholarship. 95% of LSA Students receive anywhere from $1,000 to $10,000 depending on program costs and financial need. In 2017, the LSA Scholarship Office awarded over $1.7 million to eligible LSA students participating in CGIS programs. 

Consult the Office of Financial Aid about your U-M financial aid package and how it can be repackaged to account for additional expenses during your time abroad.


All programs are priced as inexpensively as possible without sacrificing academic quality or student safety. Costs vary considerably between programs. Different financial models exist, and program expenses depend on many factors (local cost of living, fluctuating exchange rates, whether you’re in-state or out-of-state, class standing, and so on). Talk with your CGIS advisor about which programs will be most affordable for you.

Scholarships for Pell-Eligible Students

All LSA Pell Grant recipients who participate in a GCC/GIEU can receive the GCC/GIEU Grant. The grant pays the entire program fee for GCC/GIEU but they must apply for the LSA Study Abroad Scholarship. Applicants will also be considered for other scholarships that cover travel expenses. 

All LSA students who are not Pell Grant recipients should apply to be considered for scholarship assistance for the GIEU program fee and travel expenses. To apply, go to the LSA Scholarship Website: Pell Grant recipients students may be eligible for similar funding through their college or through external scholarships. 

Pell-eligible students studying abroad for 4 weeks or more should also consider applying for the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship. An external resource generously funded by the US Department of State, the Gilman program offers awards up to $5,000 for students with demonstrated financial need.

You can afford to study abroad, and U-M students from a wide variety of backgrounds have completed global study experiences.