Studying abroad offers students many invaluable opportunities: they can further develop the skills they will need to compete in a global economy, cultivate their language competencies, build meaningful connections with people from around the world, and much more.
By participating in a CGIS program:
- LSA students receive in-residence credit, just as if they had taken courses on-campus in Ann Arbor.
- Most financial aid will transfer, and financial aid packages can be adjusted to account for additional expenses such as airfare, passport and visa fees, and immunizations.
- LSA students who receive need-based aid are eligible for additional funding through the LSA Scholarships Office, which recently offered $1.7 million to students on CGIS programs.
- CGIS students will receive expert advice and support before, during, and after their experience.
Benefits of Study Abroad: Below is a non-exhaustive of the benefits of study abroad.
- A study abroad experience can help students select a major/minor, spark their interest in a certain career field, and/or help them develop their language skills.
- Studying abroad nurtures the development of hard and soft skills that will be valuable in a professional setting regardless of job industry.
- Intercultural skills and experiences gained abroad are invaluable to all types of organizations.
- Promotes skills needed for successful leadership, such as the ability to work with diverse teams.
- Study abroad is a great opportunity for students to explore their identity, grow as an individual, and become more independent, confident, adaptable, and resilient.
- Students who study abroad are more civically engaged.