- Application Information
- ForALL Preview
- The MS program
- The PhD program
- Coursework (MS and PhD)
- Mentoring (MS and PhD)
- The Qualifying Exam (PhD)
- Graduate Student Instructors (GSIs)
- Research and Travel Funding
- Student Publications and Awards
- Resources for Graduate Students
- Graduate Program Statistics
- Professional Development
- Scholarships & Fellowships
An internship is a limited time period of work experience offered by an organization. They are typically undertaken to gain relevant skills and experience in a particular field. If you are interested in pursuing an internship it is important that you talk with your advisor to ensure the timing is compatible with your research project.
Why consider an internship?
- Real Life Experience and Exposure
- Try out a career/research project
- Build your network and acquire mentors
- Employers look for internships on your resume
- Transition into a full-time position
- Internship may be part of the interview process
Internships can be secured in many types of organizations. Professional companies (e.g environmental service companies, mining, oil and gas companies), Government Organizations (e.g., USGS), Non-Government Organizations (NGO) and at Universities.
You can find an internship in many ways, some of which are outlined below (linked websites are a starting point and are not endorsed by the Department)
Be familiar with University of Michigan Resources:
Federal, State and Local Government Linked Internships
Several government linked organizations offer internships. Below are examples of organizations that may offer internships
- The USGS offers a variety of quality student internship opportunities. Be sure to seek out active internships for the coming year by searching for them on the main USA Jobs Webpage.
- National Park Service GeoScientists-in-the-Park program
The NPS is looking for experienced earth science professionals and students to work with park staffs to help them understand and manage the resources through examining the geology, water, air, and integrated sciences. The work varies greatly from park to park and may be broad or specific in scope. Please see the NPS GIS program website for more information.
- The JPL Summer Internship Program offers a 10-week, full-time, summer internship opportunity at JPL to undergraduate and graduate students pursuing degrees in science, technology, engineering or mathematics.
- The Environmental Protection Agency offers internships through the Pathways program on USA Jobs
- Michigan Department of Energy, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE)
- The City of Ann Arbor often has part time internship jobs in their water service department, these job are advertised on the City of Ann Arbor job board
Search on Job Boards, for example:
Search company websites (online applications, there are many more so look up companies you are interested in and find out the process)