Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Non-Degree Status

Non-degree status offers the opportunity to elect courses in the College to meet personal objectives without enrollment in a degree program. Consideration for admission as a non-degree student is determined by (1) certified good academic standing at another college or university and eligibility to return or (2) successful completion of a college degree. Interested students should submit the Non-Degree LSA Application which is available online from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions website. Applicants are be asked to submit an official transcript of their college work, or official documentation confirming their college degree unless the degree was conferred by UM—Ann Arbor. High school graduates not entering U-M in the fall as freshmen may be considered for non-degree admission for summer term only.

A student who has a degree from any unit of the University of Michigan is eligible to apply for non-degree status. Non-degree status is not intended to accommodate qualified degree applicants who apply after the deadline or after enrollment limits for a particular term have been reached. Nor is non-degree status intended to accommodate high school students who wish to elect college-level courses unless they meet the conditions for dual enrollment as defined by LSA and implemented by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Students dismissed from the College for unsatisfactory academic performance may not enroll as non-degree students. No student having an academic stop in any unit of the University as a degree-seeking student may be admitted to non-degree status without receiving special permission from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions grants admission as applications are received. If non-degree status is granted, the student may register for courses only on or after the first day of classes of the term for which admission has been granted. This is to ensure that degree-seeking students have first priority in electing courses. Non-degree students may register for any course as long as it is open or an Electronic Permission can be obtained.

The Registrar's Office maintains an official transcript of all courses elected by each non-degree student. Non-degree students are subject to the same policies that apply to degree-seeking students. They are expected to maintain a minimum 2.0 grade point average to be eligible for continued enrollment.

If non-degree students plan to seek a degree from the College, they should discuss their interests with an admissions counselor and an academic advisor. Non-degree status is not changed to degree status except by formal application through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Successful completion of work elected as a non-degree student is considered, but does not ensure admission as a degree student. If admission as a degree student is granted, credit earned during enrollment as a non-degree student may be applied toward a degree. It is considered in-residence credit and earns honor points.

Non-degree students who would like to discuss their academic plans are encouraged to contact the Newnan Academic Advising Center.