Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$root.page}}

ALA 225: Undergraduate Internship Course

In ALA 225, you'll become part of a cohort of Michigan undergrads interning in the U.S. and abroad. As part of the one-credit course, join an online community where you reflect on your internship experience, share insights, and hone your writing skills. Credit is earned via the academic requirements associated with the course.

Remember, you must sign up for ALA 225 before your internship start date.

In this course you will:

• Learn and anticipate the common stages of an internship.
  • Establish personal and professional goals.Develop networks within and outside the organization.
  • Contribute to an online forum to make meaning of your experiences.
  • Incorporate the experiences and competencies you gain into written and oral communication, such as résumés and pitches.

Take this course if ANY of these describe you:

• I’d like to gain a sense of what to expect during a typical internship.
  • I’d find it useful to be in touch with other interns and Hub staff/instructors during my internship.
  • I’d like be able to communicate what I will learn during my internship experience.
  • I have been accepted for an internship that meets the criteria.

To be eligible to enroll in ALA 225, your internship must meet the following requirements:

• Spring/summer internships must be a minimum of 6 weeks in length and must require that you work at least 25 hours per week throughout the course of your internship.
  • Fall/winter internships must last throughout the course of the semester and must require that you work at least 10 hours per week.
  • ALA 225 may only be applied to one internship per term. (For example, if you have two internships in one summer, you can only take ALA 225 with one of them).
  • ALA 225 can be taken no more than 2 times over the course of your undergraduate career.
  • You must sign up before your internship begins. 

Get an Override to Enroll

In order to enroll in ALA 225 and earn academic credit for your internship, you will need an override. Here's what you need to keep in mind:

• You must already be accepted to an internship for the summer or term you are applying in.
  • You must have an offer letter from your employer as a Word or PDF attachment. 
  • Your internship must meet the requirements: for spring/summer, it must be a minimum of 6 weeks and at least 25 hours per week, and for fall/winter, internships must last throughout the semester and be at least 10 hours per week.
  • You must apply for an override before the start of your internship.

How to Apply for an Override

Step 1: Log-in to the LSA Opportunity Network

Step 2: Under the ALA Courses section on the right, click "ALA 225 Enrollment" (or select "Personal" under the My Account drop-down in the left-hand menu, and then click "Hub Programs")

Step 3: Click “Register an Opportunity”

Step 4: Complete and submit the registration form. Don't forget to attach an official letter from your employer that says your exact start and end date; the number of hours you'll work per week; and your supervisor's name, title, and email address. 

Step 5: Your application will be reviewed by the LSA Opportunity Hub team, at which time you will receive directions for next steps. Please allow up to 2 weeks for this process to be completed.

NOTE: If your employer requires a letter verifying that you will receive credit, please email us at lsa-opphub@umich.edu.

DEADLINES: Applications must be submitted on or before the deadline for each semester. 

Spring/Summer: July 1
Fall: September 30
Winter: January 31