Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$root.page}}

Sophia Georginis

Year: Senior

Majors: Screen Arts and Cultures

Internship: Content Strategy Intern at Comedy Central

What: Georginis analyzes competitor programming for the cable channel.

For an aspiring professional in the world of comedy, New York City is something of a playground. Every day, Sophia Georginis passes through its epicenter, Times Square, on her way into Viacom headquarters, where she interns in the Comedy Central office. From 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., she’s working on the corporate side of the entertainment industry, a place she hopes to land after college.

“I came to U-M thinking I’d study comm, but once I found the film, television and media major, I really fell in love with the curriculum,” Georginis said. “I started to realize the way I deal with life and the way I find the most happiness is through comedy.”

She earned her major summer gig in part by joining the student-run television channel WOLV TV on campus and interning the previous summer with the Honest Company in L.A. She credits the Opportunity Hub funding with helping make both her summer internships a reality. “If it wasn’t for the internship scholarship, I don’t think I’d be able to move to L.A. last year or New York this year, because rents are so high,” she said.