Transgender & Non-Binary Student Considerations

Students are encouraged to take ownership of their study abroad experience, however, CGIS recognizes that some students may face more barriers while researching their study abroad destination. This is especially true for transgender and non-binary students who may face multiple factors while considering when and/or where to study abroad. This can include passing through airport security, safety within their host country, and what housing may look like on their specific program. 

CGIS supports all students who wish to study abroad. Transgender and non-binary students who wish to explore their options and/or discuss concerns that may come up during their application, planning process or their on-site experience should contact a CGIS Intercultural Programs Advisor to make an appointment. If a student wishes to look into attitudes regarding trans and non-binary travelers in their host country, CGIS has compiled additional resources students can use at the bottom of this page. Further, we have gathered some additional questions for students to consider as they begin to explore their travel options. 

• What are the attitudes towards trans/non-binary people where I am traveling/interested in traveling?
  • Are there any laws against trans/non-binary people in my host country? 
  • What does going through TSA security look like?
  • What does going through security look like in my host country? 
  • What is the housing situation for my program? 
  • Will I need any medical assistance during my program (medications, hormone therapy, ect.)? Would those be covered by GeoBlue?  

Study abroad participants should not be afraid to ask for help and reach out for support. Every Intercultural Programs Advisor in the CGIS office (734.764.4311) is an LGBTQ+ ally and can assist students in addressing their concerns as well as point students in the direction of resources at the host institution and/or here on campus, such as the Spectrum Center.