Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Disabilities and Accommodations

Students who receive accommodations at UM can often receive the same or similar accommodations abroad, with some preparation.

Selecting a Program

CGIS recommends that students start the process early, discussing options with CGIS advisors, who can help students find a program that works best for their needs. Once students know which program they plan to travel on, they should contact the Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD) office to work through accommodations needs for their time studying abroad.

Please note that accommodations may not transfer abroad, as different countries have different laws regarding access and accommodations. Making arrangements for accommodations is the personal responsibility of the student, and should be done with the assistance of SSD.

If students are curious if their accommodations will transfer abroad, they should consult with CGIS advisors, who can contact the host institution abroad to assess accommodation possibilities. It is best for students to identify several programs that meet their academic interests since CGIS partners will have different accessibility standards.

Important Note: Need for accommodations is never a criterion for selection or admission to a program.

Resources by Disability Type

Not sure where to start? Use the resources below as a guide for what considerations to make before selecting a study abroad program. This is not an exhaustive list by any means, but provides a good start. CGIS also recommends students do personal research on travelers who share their identities. If you want to learn more about the accessibility of a certain location or program, you can book an appointment with a CGIS Intercultural Programs Advisor or our Risk Mitigation & Compliance Manager.

Disability Documentation

If a student hopes to use their accommodations abroad, they must meet with their SSD coordinator and create a joint accommodations plan called the Disability Accommodations Abroad Form. Students then submit a copy of this to their on-site program coordinator. Program coordinators vary by location, so students should consult their CGIS advisor if unsure whom to share the information with. To learn more about this process, check out the process chart below.

Housing Accommodations

Unless it is specified on the CGIS brochure page for the program, CGIS' Housing Policy does not allow students to secure independent housing during their study abroad program. 

If specific housing accommodations are needed due to a chronic illness or disability, please submit the form below within 2 business days of confirming your acceptance on the program in MCompass. It is paramount that students submit this documentation as soon as possible as any delays in doing so may result in potential accommodations no longer being available. 

Once all documentation is received, CGIS will consult with UHS and our on-site partners to determine if the program is able to accommodate your needs. The final decision to approve or deny accomodation requests is made by an independent healthcare provider at UHS. It can take up to three weeks to receive a decision. It is pertinent that students who require a housing accommodation submit the above paperwork as soon as possible to get this process started.

Additionally, it is important to understand that this not a request for independent housing. All CGIS students are required to stay in CGIS sponsored housing for the duration of their program.


Note: CGIS does not provide or manage living arrangements for every study abroad program and this form applies to those programs for which CGIS does provide living arrangements as part of the program being offered.