The Mathematics Department sponsors several student organizations including SAM, STEM, and WIM. The Department is more-than-happy to support additional math-related student organizations. If there is a math-related club that you want to start, please email the Math Undergraduate Program Director at email@example.com.
- The Mathematics Department offers a wide range of weekly seminars. You can find more information via Happenings @ Michigan. To sign up for the weekly Math Missive that contains a list of many events and opportunities please email firstname.lastname@example.org and request to be added to the Math Club MCommunity group.
- Michigan Finance and Mathematics Society (MFAMS) is organized to support those who are pursuing a career that uses financial mathematics both professionally and academically. More specifically, MFAMS seeks to establish and maintain meaningful relationships with recruiters and companies to support members' professional goals, as well as providing members' insight into the industry to further interests. Moreover, the group will host information sessions, coffee chats, workshops, academic talks, and other events that align with the goals of the organization.
- Michigan Math Meet is an undergraduate-organized mathematics competition for high school students from Michigan and the Midwest. Our goal is to help students improve their problem solving skills, prepare for major mathematics contests, and cultivate a love of mathematics. We also provide outreach opportunities for undergraduates to pursue their passion for mathematics outside the classroom through writing problems, planning tournaments, and working with high school students. Visit michiganmathmeet.org for more information.
- The Society of Undergraduate Math Students (SUMS) is an organization whose goal is to facilitate friendships and community amongst mathematics concentrators and those interested in mathematics.
- The Student Actuaries at Michigan (SAM) club is an organization for undergraduates and graduates interested in the field of actuarial and financial mathematics. There are monthly meetings on topics of interest, sometimes featuring speakers from industry. The group organizes study groups for the professional examinations and coordinates visits to campus of industry recruiters. It also sponsors a variety of athletic and social activities including an end-of-year picnic.
- STEM Society aims to expose K-12 students, especially in lower socioeconomic areas, to inquiry-based learning in the fields of science and math. The society hopes to disprove common stereotypes that students may have about science and math as well as to increase their awareness of the diverse opportunities available in these fields. In addition, STEM Society strives to provide undergraduates with an interest in teaching or sharing their passion for science and math with opportunities to do so.
- Women in Mathematics (WIM) club is dedicated to providing social and educational support for females pursuing mathematics/statistics or those who have strong interest in these subjects. Throughout the year WIM hosts monthly meetings and various social events that include study sessions, movie nights, seminars from women in the mathematics field, game nights, and more. The club is open to anyone who is interested in mathematics.
- Quantitative Investment Society (QIS) is for students interested in applying quantitative models and algorithmic thinking to financial markets. Our members are comfortable with university level math and one or more programming languages. Our goal is to provide members the resources to develop trading strategies and a space to exchange ideas about financial markets.To learn more, visit www.qisumich.com
Find a complete list of student clubs at the University of Michigan by visiting Maize Pages.