Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Mechanics of the Major and Minor

A student who is considering a degree in mathematics should begin learning about the requirements early in the sophomore year or before. This is also a good time to make an initial appointment with a Departmental advisor. Note that inappropriate course election decisions made at an early stage may result in missed opportunities to take infrequently offered courses or their prerequisites.

Declaring a Mathematics Degree

The decision to major or minor in mathematics should be made by the end of the sophomore year and officially registered by filling out a Declaration Form in the Undergraduate Mathematics Office (2082 East Hall). During your first counseling session as a declared student of mathematics, you should plan a possible sequence of courses to fulfill your degree's requirements. Of course, as you progress through the program, you may make many changes in this initial plan. Before you register for courses for each subsequent semester, you should make a counseling appointment to review your progress with an advisor and revise your plan for the remaining semesters. Regular counseling is your best guarantee for completing the program in a timely manner.

Releasing a Mathematics Degree

The Departmental requirements for each of the degree programs are described in detail elsewhere on this web site. The final certification that you have satisfied the requirements for your program is provided by an official Release Form. The form lists current and future courses and declares that if these courses are completed satisfactorily, the degree requirements will be satisfied. To have a minor released, please e-mail and include your UMID number and major. Students pursuing a Mathematics major must meet with an advisor to complete the Release Form in person before the beginning of their final semester in the program. Early submission of this form is very important to allow time for any required adjustments. At the same time the major is released, students should use Wolverine Access to apply for graduation electronically. Each College has a number of further requirements which must be satisfied before a student can graduate. General Counselors in the LSA Newnan Academic Advising Center (1255 Angell Hall), Engineering Advising Center, and Ross School of Business are trained in the administration of these regulations and should be consulted regularly to ensure that all requirements will be satisfied.