- Awards & Fellowships
- Applied & Interdisciplinary Mathematics Master's Degree
- Marjorie Lee Browne MS to PhD Bridge Program
- Mathematics Master's Degrees
- Quantitative Finance & Risk Management Master's Program
- Dual Degree MS - Current U-M Graduate Students Only
- Applied & Interdisciplinary Mathematics Ph.D.
- Mathematics Ph.D.
- Recent Ph.D. Recipients
- Student Handbook - AIM & Math
- Students On the Job Market - AIM & Math
- Student Spotlight - AIM & Math
- Thesis Defense Schedule
The table below contains the important due dates for planning your dissertation defense. Be sure to familiarize yourself with Rackham's Completing the Doctoral Degree Requirements in order to ensure a successful conferral of your Ph.D. Please note the Rackham Deadlines are firm.
Grace Periods allow a Ph.D. student to confer within the extended time period without registering and paying tuition for the following semester. For example, a student who confers in the Winter 2024 Grace Period does not need to register or pay tuition for the Spring/Summer 2024 semesters.
International Students should take care to plan ahead for OPT or I20 extensions. A minimum of 90 days is required for processing. Be sure to read the International Center's webpages below carefully.
- Rackham Doctoral Degree Deadlines
- Rackham Resources for Grad Students in response to Covid-19
- Rackham Completing the Doctoral Degree Requirements
The Rackham Hooding Ceremony is Friday, May 3, 2024 at 10am. Only Winter (not Winter Grace) conferrals may participate this year. Be sure to plan ahead, invite your parents & advisor, order robes, and get tickets.
The Mathematics Department Ceremony is Friday, May 3, 2024 at 3:15pm. There will be speakers, certificates, and gifts passed out as your name is called.
The Michigan Stadium Ceremony is Saturday, May 4, 2024 at 10am. Winter conferrals may participate. Winter Grace and S/S conferrals may participate in December or next April.
Selection of Committee Members:
(4-6 months before Defense)
Schedule Defense Date:
(10 weeks before Defense)
Draft of Thesis to Committee Members:
(Recommended 9 weeks before Defense)
(3 weeks before Defense)
Doctoral Committee Approval & Reader Reports Due:
(2 weeks before Defense)
Rackham Thesis Committee Member Forms Deadline:
(3 days before Defense)
Recommended Defense Date
(2 weeks before Rackham deadline)
|Rackham Post- Defense Deadline|
12/17/2023 or 5/4/2024
Fall 2023 Grace
WN 2024 Grace
12/22/2024 or 5/3/2025
12/22/2024 or 5/3/2025
** Must pay Sp/Su tuition
Ph.D. Dissertation Defense To Do List
- Select Dissertation Committee Members & 2 Readers & inform Math Grad Office by: 4-6 months before Defense Date
- Choose defense date with committee members, inform Math Grad Office, & request room from Math Undergrad Office by: 10 weeks before Defense Date
- Give copies of thesis to committee members by: 9 weeks before Defense Date
- Complete Rackham Pre-Defense by: 3 weeks before Defense Date
- Remind Readers to submit reports to Math Grad Office by: 2 weeks before Defense Date
- Remind Committee Members to complete Rackham Thesis Evaluations by: 3 days before Defense Date
- Defend your thesis on: Your Defense Date (recommend at least 2 weeks prior to Rackham Requirement Deadline)
- Complete Rackham Post-defense submission by: Rackham Requirement Deadline
Sample Timing for a Winter Grace Period Conferral of August 16, 2024
- Select Dissertation Committee Members & 2 Readers & inform Math Grad Office by: February 12, 2024
- Choose defense date with committee members, inform Math Grad Office, & request room from Math Undergrad Office by: March 25, 2024
- Give copies of thesis to committee members by: April 1, 2024
- Complete Rackham Pre-Defense by: May 13, 2024
- Remind Readers to submit reports to Math Grad Office by: May 20, 2024
- Remind Committee Members to complete Rackham Thesis Evaluations by: May 30, 2024
- Defend your thesis on: June 3, 2024
- Complete Rackham Post-defense submission by: June 17, 2024