Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}


Readmission to the College

The College of Literature, Science, and the Arts allows readmission of a student previously enrolled if the student left in good academic standing. Students who have been away for less than two years should contact the Office of the Registrar, 500 South State Street, to obtain an appointment for registration. Students who have been absent from the College for more than two full years (24 months) must apply for readmission by submitting an Application for Reactivation which is available from the Office of Academic Advising, 1255 Angell Hall. Students also must meet with an Academic Standards Board member. International students on temporary U.S. visa status (F-1 or J-1) who have missed a full year must must contact the International Center to have their visa status updated.

If a student has done academic work out of residence since leaving the College, official transcript(s) of that work should be submitted to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Students suspended from the College for reasons of unsatisfactory academic performance must obtain permission to register from the Academic Standards Board. In these cases, the readmission decision rests entirely with the Academic Standards Board. Such students must make an appointment with a member of the Academic Standards Board at least eight weeks prior to the desired readmission term to discuss readmission to the College. Petitions requesting reinstatement should be received by the Academic Standards Board at least six weeks prior to the beginning of the term in question.

Individuals with a bachelor's degree who want to earn a second degree must obtain permission from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Normally, at least two calendar years must transpire between the awarding of the first baccalaureate degree and the beginning of the second baccalaureate degree program. Applicants must pursue an academic program significantly different from that of the first baccalaureate degree. Except in the case of joint degrees, the College does not award concurrent bachelor's degrees. For graduates of schools and colleges on the Ann Arbor campus, the two baccalaureate degrees should be different (for example, not two Bachelor of Arts or two Bachelor of Science degrees). The second degree program cannot be a BGS degree, and students whose first degree is the BGS degree are ineligible for a second Bachelor's degree. Applicants who already have an LSA degree must earn at least 30 credits in residence in LSA beyond the credits required for the first degree, with at least 15 of these credits in the new field of the major. These same requirements apply to graduates of another Ann Arbor unit who are seeking to complete a second UM degree through LSA. The second program must include a minimum of 100 LSA credits. To be considered for admission to a second baccalaureate degree program, all applicants who have a baccalaureate degree from the Ann Arbor campus of the University of Michigan must have a 2.0 minimum grade point average.

Applicants whose first degree comes from any other institution (including U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint) will be required to complete at least 60 credits in residence at the Ann Arbor campus. The student must be registered in LSA for at least 30 credits beyond the credits required for the first degree. The second degree program must include a minimum of 100 LSA credits. To be considered for admission to a second baccalaureate degree program, applicants must have the same minimum grade point average as the College requires for students who transfer from other institutions.