Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Sexual Harassment and Grievance Procedures


The English Department, along with the Rackham Graduate School and the University as a whole, takes issues of sexual harassment and other types of discrimination seriously. Graduate students may contact the Associate Chair, DGS, or any other Department Officer for a consultation, bearing in mind that all the Officers, as Responsible Employees, are required to report incidents of sexual misconduct. For more information and a list of confidential resources, please see the department's Mediation Plan.

As awareness has grown about sexual harassment within the academy and beyond, the department's leadership team has assembled and spent time researching and working through a list of questions. In an attempt to begin to address some of these questions and to advance our conversations about harassment within the department, we have gathered our responses in the form of a Sexual Harassment FAQ. We fully expect the document to be revised as our shared understandings of a complex set of issues continue to evolve. 

For further information on assistance with sexual harassment or discrimination of any type, please see the Rackham Graduate School Discrimination and Harasshment Guide for Students or the Department's Intranet How to Get Help / Resources section (log-in required)

Students should also remember that they are future professors and as such must also be concerned that they themselves meet the standards of conduct that the University expects.


We urge graduate students to seek resolution of conflicts related to their grades within the department, in consultation with the graduate office.  Any student who wishes to file a grade grievance, or any grievance related to academic matters, should contact the Rackham Graduate Student Affairs Office, either in person, in Suite 150, Rackham, or by phone at 734-647-7548, to speak with a Rackham Resolution/Grievance Officer