- Commencement 2020
- English Department Writing Program
- English Major
- English Minors
- Major/Minor Program Requirements
- Creative Writing
- Engaged Learning Opportunities
- Course Clusters
- English Honors Program
- Advising Information
- Download Undergraduate Forms
- Accelerated MA Program in Transcultural Studies
- LSA / UM Resources
- Undergraduate Newsletter
- Transfer Policies
- Special Programs
- This Week in English...
While the University of Michigan does not currently offer a degree program in journalism, there are a wide variety of resources available within the English Department and across campus campus for Michigan students interested in reality-based narrative and documentary forms, including journalistic writing, creative nonfiction, and the many types of storymaking that fall somewhere in between.
Opportunities offered by the Department of English include:
Funded Journalism Internships for English majors and minors
Minor in Creative Writing (with an optional track in creative nonfiction)
- Minor in Narrative & Documentary Studies (anticipated launch in Fall 2020)
- Great Lakes Writers Corps: This new program offers aspiring writers with an interest in regional issues a structured three-part sequence of hands-on training opportunities including introduction to literary journalism, a funded summer research placement, and a production course resulting in the creation of a potentially publishable long-form story or podcast.
Individual course offerings, such as:
English 244 - Introduction to Literary Journalism
English 325 - Art of the Essay
English 326 - Community Writing and Public Culture
English 344 - Public Writing
English 345 - The New Essay
English 425 - Advanced Essay Writing / Immersion Writing
Other departments and programs offering relevant courses include:
|. . .