Like many other RC alums, nurse and Professor Emeritus Deb Hagerty has an accolade of experiences under her belt– both professional, and life experiences. While she sat in her cozy home office and I in my East Quad dormitory, our conversation was entrenched in her vivid and grateful memories at the RC. 

During a less progressive era in the 70s, she reminisced about being appreciated and seen at the RC. “Women [athletes] never got letter jackets,” Deb said, and it wasn’t until Sheryl Szady reached out on behalf of the University and facilitated women athletes who were of varsity status, receiving a letter jacket each. 

Much was said about the melting pot of cultures and identities in the RC. For the first time in her life, Deb could talk one-on-one with fellow students of different races, cultures, and sexualities. She spoke about it with such enthusiasm, that I admired her eagerness to learn about the world. While Michigan education gave Deb the academic knowledge, the RC also gave her the essential ability to interact with people from all walks of life. 

Deb’s time at the RC gave her many opportunities to lay the foundation of her current work in nursing. Through her RC Spanish program, Deb continued her high school study on society’s attitudes towards ageing.  This knowledge translated into her work as a nurse in long-term care later in life.

She's integral to her community and her work. When I last checked in with her, she had just won an award presented by the National Association of Directors of Nursing Administration/ Long Term Care for her dedication and commitment (peep the happy picture!)

Many of her RC experiences also translated into hobbies after graduation– guitar lessons into church band, and a summer at the Biological Station into gardening. So true to her fashion, when I asked Deb on how to learn in college and navigate the world, she said, “do everything… do activities, go with people who don’t look like you,” because they introduce an entirely new world to you with their own experiences. 

Deb would love to hear from you– reach out at dhagerty@georgiasouthern.edu!