You Belong at Michigan!
Our Vision Statement
The field of Physics lacks diversity with respect to gender and underrepresented minorities (URM). The situation has not improved significantly with time; in fact, the number of degrees earned by African Americans has decreased in the last decade. Leaders at physics organizations and universities have recognized the demand for improved diversity. This has prompted official statements from the American Physical Society (APS) and the American Association of Physics Teachers (AAPT). The University of Michigan Physics Department has also acknowledged this and formed a committee on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) in order to address these and related issues. The university president’s diversity charge states it is central to the mission as an educational institution to ensure that each member of our community has full opportunity to thrive.
We envision a Michigan Physics Department that is reflective of our larger society - where traditionally underrepresented groups are no longer underrepresented. We envision a community that is sustainable, diverse, and thriving. We envision a future where the University of Michigan and the Physics department are recognized national leaders in diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives.
In alignment with the University of Michigan LSA college-wide strategic plan for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, the committee, along with department and University leadership, are working together towards the following broad goals:
- Implementing policies and best practices that improve diversity and equity among faculty, staff, graduate student, and undergraduate student populations.
- Improved and sustained retention of diverse students, staff, and faculty.
- Creating an inclusive and supportive climate for all members of the department, not limited to URM, people of LGBTQ+, individuals with disabilities, and non-traditional backgrounds, that provides equitable opportunities for learning, development, and success.
- Formative assessment of implemented strategies aimed to enhance diversity, equity, and inclusion in the Physics Department.
- Continuous collection, evaluation, interpretation, and dissemination of best practices that enhance diversity, equity, and inclusiveness.