Skip to Content

AP, IB, and Transfer Credit

AP and IB Credit

If you matriculated prior to Fall 2017 and would like to receive AP Physics Credit, the Physics Department requests that students email In this e-mail, please indicate whether or not you are interested in majoring or minoring in physics. 

If you matriculated in Fall 2017 or later, your AP Physics Credit will be posted automatically to your transcript.

To receive credit for International Baccalaureate (IB) examinations, an official transcript of examination grades must be officially sent by the IB Office (Maryland, Geneva, or London) directly to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Transfer Credit

If you would like to transfer courses from another institution, please refer to the online transfer credit database. The courses listed here are pre-approved and will appear on your U-M transcript once the course is completed and an official transcript is submitted to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions showing the official course grade.


If the course you are looking to take is not listed, please submit an official syllabus, including topics covered, and the course final exam to In your email, be sure to include the name of the school at which the course was taken, the course name and number, and your UMID number. These courses are then sent on to our faculty evaluators. Evaluations can take a few weeks, so please submit your materials early. 

LSA Students:

  • No online courses are accepted for transfer credit; there are no exceptions to this rule.
  • Please note that due to the unique focus of Physics 135 and Physics 235 (Physics for the Life Sciences I and II), there are not many equivalents.
  • All physics transfer credits follow the general College of LSA transfer credit guidelines

Non-LSA Students:

  • Consult with your college to discuss transfer credit procedure. 
  • Online courses will not be accepted for physics credit.