Anne Curzan, associate dean for the humanities and a recognized expert in language and linguistics, has been appointed dean of the University of Michigan’s largest academic unit, the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts.

Her appointment, approved Thursday, June 20, by the Board of Regents, is effective Sept. 1 and runs through June 30, 2024. 

Curzan is an Arthur F. Thurnau professor, Geneva Smitherman Collegiate Professor of English Language and Literature, associate dean for humanities, professor of English language and literature, professor of linguistics in LSA and professor of education.

“The liberal arts are at the core of the university’s mission to contribute to the common good and foster an educated citizenry,” said Curzan. “I am excited and deeply honored to have this opportunity to lead LSA, my alma mater and faculty home for the past 17 years, as we continue to model what a world-class liberal arts college can achieve in research and education. I am surrounded by remarkable faculty colleagues, staff, and students, and I am committed to working to ensure that each individual is valued for the perspectives and identities they bring and can thrive as they pursue meaningful work and lives.”

Read more about Anne Curzan in the University Record