Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Credit by Examination (CBE)

Recognizing that students may have background in particular academic areas, the faculty has left it to each department to decide if it is possible for students to earn credit by examination. While the opportunities are quite limited, the amount and type of credit in any area is determined by the academic department(s) in which a student feels qualified to seek credit by examination.

Some departments recognize certain subject area College Entrance Examination Board College Level Examination Program (CLEP) examinations and grant credit on the basis of specified performance on such examinations. All CLEP credit is evaluated as incoming transfer credit, and questions regarding CLEP credit should be addressed to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Only those CLEP examinations specifically accepted by academic departments at the University of Michigan may be used to certify credit by examination toward a degree. Credit will not be given for any CLEP exams taken after the student enrolls at U-M.

In addition to, or in place of, CLEP examinations, some academic departments have prepared examinations that are administered on campus. Questions regarding such departmental examinations should be directed to the respective department.

Credit earned by examination is out-of-residence credit. It is posted on a student's transcript as credit earned toward the degree but without honor points and is identified by the notation "Credit by Examination." Failure to pass a departmental examination is not noted on a student's transcript or in a student's academic advising file.