Skip to Content

Search: {{$root.lsaSearchQuery.q}}, Page {{$}}

Non-LSA Coursework

Students in LSA must complete a program of study consisting of courses primarily from LSA or equivalent transfer credit.

Undergraduate LSA courses are listed in the LSA Undergraduate Course Catalog. Courses offered by other academic units (e.g., the Stephen M. Ross School of Business, the School of Education, the College of Engineering, etc.) of the University of Michigan (Ann Arbor) and not listed in the LSA Undergraduate Course Catalog are defined as non-LSA courses.

Non-LSA coursework earns credit toward a degree and honor points according to the following policies:

  1. Candidates for an A.B., B.S., or B.G.S. degree must complete a minimum 100 credits of LSA courses, allowing 20 credits of non-LSA coursework in the minimum 120 required for the degree. Non-LSA credits in excess of 20 will be included in the calculation of a student's GPA, but will not be counted toward the 120 credits needed for a bachelor's degree in LSA.
  2. Courses cross-listed between LSA and another school or college of the University of Michigan (Ann Arbor) count toward the required number of LSA credits.
  3. Up until Winter 2024, School of Kinesiology courses cross-listed with an LSA SUBJECT counted for degree credit as LSA courses, while all other Kinesiology courses counted as not-for-credit. LSA students enrolling in Kinesiology courses beginning in Winter 2024 and after receive degree credit for the courses taken, similar to courses taken in other UM Schools/Colleges.  
  4. University of Michigan School of Music, Theatre & Dance ensemble courses yield non-LSA degree credit but no honor points (except for those cross-listed with LSA: ENS 405, 406, 407).
  5. Transfer credit for journalism courses is counted as non-LSA.
  6. The College does not grant degree credit for any courses offered through the Military Officer Education Programs except for those courses cross-listed in other academic units.