- English Department Writing Program
- English Major
- English Minors
- Major/Minor Program Requirements
- Creative Writing
- Engaged Learning Opportunities
- Course Clusters
- English Honors Program
- Advising Information
- Download Undergraduate Forms
- Accelerated MA Program in Transcultural Studies
- LSA / UM Resources
- Transfer Policies
- English Street Team
The English Department has partnered with organizing in the local Ann Arbor and the surrounding greater-Detroit area to provide our students with exciting and enriching internship opportunities across a variety of career options.
The partner list below is in no way comprehensive but it includes opportunities that are currently available.
The English Department offers some funding for internship opportunities for qualified students.
For more information or questions, please contact the English Department Internship Coordinator, Lisa Makman.
Opportunities with English Partners
Virginian-Pilot Newsroom - Reporting, Videography/Photography, Audience Engagement, Data Journalism
The Virginian-Pilot, the largest newspaper in Virginia, is now accepting internship applications for summer 2022. Paid interns are treated as regular newsroom staffmembers, learning on the job and helping to produce news coverage. Each intern will be assined an editor and will participate in team meetings and training programs on topical subjects. Sessions in 2021 included a narrative writing workshop, FOIA training, court reporting, and workshop on how to start a new beat. Internships last 12 weeks and inclue positions in reporting, videography/photography, audience engagement, and data journalism. While the newsroom is currently working remotely, interns must be based in Hampton Roads and able to drive to assignments when necessary.
The application deadline is November 12. Please see the Virginian-Pilot website for more information, including how to apply.
Macmillan Learning Curriculum Solutions - Editorial Production Intern
The Editorial Production Interns will primarily work with a team of Production Editors to prepare complex manuscript materials for typesetting. They will have the opportunity to learn about the publishing process by working with various teams (Managing Editors, Designers, and Proofreaders) and by obtaining hands-on experience with many different projects. This is primarily a production position with a focus on file preparation (not editing or writing).
Applicants must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program, or have graduated within the last 3 months. Must be available to work onsite in our Plymouth, MI office from mid-March through July. Must be able to work 15–20 hours/week in March and April, and then 40 hours/week in May, June, and July. Work hours are Monday–Friday, 8:30 am–5:00 pm.
Potential candidates will be given a short text preparation task to complete as part of the interview process.
Visit the Editorial Production Intern Posting for details and to apply.
826Michigan - Summer Internships
826Michigan offers a variety of internships, and we cater each one to an intern’s specific goals and interests. Internships range from one semester to one year, and typically involve twelve hours a week.
Summer internship run from early-May to mid-August, and applications are due by March 15, 2022.
If you are interested in applying to the 826michigan Internship Program, please email Volunteer Manager Sheena Crenshaw, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Emails should include:
- a resume and cover letter, both of which should have your name in the title of the file. In your cover letter, please indicate why you’re interested in interning at 826michigan, when you hope to start, and something about yourself we couldn’t learn from your resume.
- Look over our list of internships and include the ones you are most interested in.
Farrar, Straus and Giroux - Publishing Internships
Contact U-M English alum Jackson Howard, assistant editor at Farrar, Straus and Giroux, to find out about internship opportunities at FSG. Jackson works at the experimental imprints FSG Originals and MCD. He acquires fiction and nonfiction with an emphasis on young, underrepresented, queer, and experimental voices, and his first acquisition, Fernando A. Flores's Tears of the Trufflepig, was long-listed for the 2019 Center for Fiction First Novel Prize.
Contact Jackson Howard, Editor, email@example.com
Michigan News - Writing & Editing Internships
Michigan News is the central campus office that promotes research, major events, expertise and programs to enhance the university’s reputation around the world. Michigan News uses multiple methods and platforms for storytelling including news release distribution, social media engagement and multimedia production. Students working with Michigan News may work on a specific publication or project, or may be able to work across the organization.
Contact Laurel Thomas, Senior Public Relations Strategist, firstname.lastname@example.org
Ecology Center - Summer Internships
The aim of The Ecology Center is to develop innovative solutions for healthy people and a healthy planet. The Center helps to advance the best available solutions to the enormous environmental challenges we face today.
To do that, we do the following:
- We educate consumers to help keep their families healthy and safe
- We push corporations to use clean energy, make safe products, and provide healthy food
- We provide people with innovative services that promote healthy people and a healthy planet.
- We work with policymakers to establish laws that protect communities and the environment
Interns will participate in a variety of tasks to support our work.
To find out more, contact Jeff Gearhart, Research Director, email@example.com
Michigan Quarterly Review -Editorial & Marketing Assistant Intern
Application Deadline - March 1, 2022
Michigan Quarterly Review (MQR) the University of Michigan's flagship literary journal publishes essays, interviews, memoirs, fiction, poetry, and book reviews.
MQR is seeking an Editorial and Marketing Assistant to help MQR’s management administer the magazine’s business and in its production process. Duties will alternate among the following tasks according to need (8 hours a week):
- Handle correspondence including special mailing projects
- Assist in maintaining subscription and contributor databases
- Fill online orders
- Assist with managing submissions on Submittable
- Assist in preparing author contracts
- Conduct research projects related to magazine content
- Respond to mailed submissions
- Upload print and archival content into Word Press for the MQR website
- Select excerpts and public domain images for the MQR website and social media
- Assist in other publication-related tasks and arrangements
- Help staff and promote events
- Assist Online Editor with carrying out social media strategy across various platforms, including Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook via Hootsuite
- Monitor social and google analytics to identify trends and growth opportunities
- Work with MQR editors to help market the magazine to three discrete groups: national audience; regional (Midwest) audience; and local (Ann Arbor) audience
- Opportunities may include AWP, alumni newsletters, Hopwood newsletters, libraries, Parents’ Week, Ann Arbor Art Fair, Ann Arbor Art Center, Kerrytown Bookfest, Top of the Park, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the magazine editor
- Major or minor in English
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong social media skills; must have familiarity with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Hootsuite
- Excellent attention to detail and strong follow up skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and set priorities
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office Programs and G-Suite
- Enthusiasm for the literary Arts
- Enthusiasm for the literary arts
- Editorial or journalism experience
- Proficiency in WordPress
- Understanding of Google Analytics
- Understanding of Photoshop, InDesign, Canva, or similar program
To apply, contact: H.R. Webster. Managing Editor, Michigan Quarterly Review, firstname.lastname@example.org
FLOW (For the Love of Water) - Communications Intern
Everything we do is reflected in our name: For Love of Water, or simply, FLOW. The Great Lakes belong to all of us. Our mission is to safeguard the Great Lakes, as well as groundwater and drinking water across the basin. We help protect 20% of the planet’s surface freshwater by engaging and activating citizens to join with us to advance public trust policy solutions informed by our cutting-edge policy work.
The Communications Intern will be responsible for original research and writing, including research and reporting on various Great Lakes water-related campaigns and topics, interviews, case studies, blogs, social media content, videos, photos, and more.
For more information and to apply, contact Kelly Thayer, Deputy Director, email@example.com
Hour Media - Marketing Research Intern (Summer 2022)
Hour Media, the publisher of Hour Detroit, DBusiness, Detroit Home, Metro Detroit Wedding magazines and more, is proud to offer a marketing research internship for the Summer 2022 term alongside Hour’s sister research company, Professional Research Services. Ideal candidates willwork a minimum of 20 hours per-week. Schedules are negotiable, but a four month commitment is required. Interns must be enrolled in a university; however, the intern does not have to be receiving credit to be eligible for the position.
PRS works with several city and regional magazines nationwide in providing them solid research methodology for their publications. Interns will assist the marketing research department in day-to-day tasks including, tracking survey results, fact checking professionals, assisting with marketing campaigns and communicating with potential
Requirements: Qualified students will have a GPA of 3.0 or higher with strong Microsoft Excel skills. Hour Media offers its interns substantial projects and significant opportunity for skill-development. We are looking for hard-working individuals who enjoy a fast-paced environment and are willing to take on new tasks. Professionalism and responsibility are a must.
Note: This is an unpaid internship
Required Documentation: Cover Letter, Resume
To apply for this position, please contact apotter@hour media.com or firstname.lastname@example.org with the required documentation listed above. No phone calls, please. Only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.