- Prospective Students
- Current Students
- Interdepartmental Program in Ancient History (IPAH)
- Interdepartmental Program in Classical Art & Archaeology (IPCAA)
- Program in Ancient Philosophy
- Graduate Certificate in Classical Reception Studies
Please use the navigation bar for more information and departmental resources.
- Malia Piper has been appointed Assistant Director Faculty Teaching Initiatives at the Yale Poorvu Center for Teaching and Learning.
- Robert Santucci is Visiting Assistant Professor at Kalamazoo College, 2022-23.
Fellowships and Other Recognition
- Brittany Hardy won a Rackham predoctoral Fellowship for 2023-24 and was also selected as a 2023 Sweetland Graduate Fellow.
- Justin Barney received Honorable Mention in the Proquest Distinguished Dissertation Award competition for his thesis titled "Plato and Aristotle on the Efficacy of Religious Practice."
- Andrew Mayo’s article "Herophilus and Common Opinions" is accepted for publication by Greek, Roman and Byzantine Studies.
- Katelin Mikos will be attending the 2023 American School in Athens summer seminar on “The Archaeology of Caves in Greece: Cult and Life Through the Ages.”
- Nine of our students will be delivering papers at the upcoming CAMWS meeting in Provo, UT: Joseph Droegemueller, Christine Ellis, Kaitlin Karmen, Sarah Keith, William LaMarra, Antonello Mastronardi, Andrew Mayo, Katie Mikos, Sara Yeager
Congratulations to our recent graduates:
- Rob Santucci - Seneca and the History of Roman Eating (Director: Ruth Caston and Basil Dufallo)
- Malia Piper - The Misunderstood Meretrix: Luxuria, Negotium, and Amicitia in Roman Comedy (Director: Ruth Caston)
- Justin Barney - Plato and Aristotle on the Efficacy of Religious Practice (Directors: Ruth Scodel and Richard Janko)
Visiting Assistant Professorship at Western Michigan University in Kalamazoo
- Anna Cornel - An Other View: Intersectional Identity in Classical Greece (Director: Sara Forsdyke)
Teacher of classical languages at Amadeus Lyceum in Vleuten, Utrecht, Netherlands.
- Alex Tarbet - Institute for the Humanities Fellowship, 2022-23.
- Justin Barney - Rackham Predoctoral Fellowship for 2021-2022
- Drew Cabaniss - Rackham Predoctoral Fellowship for 2021-2022
- Nadhira Hill - Rackham Predoctoral Fellowship for 2021-2022
- William Soergel - Eisenberg Institute for Historical Studies Graduate Student Research Fellowship for 2021-22
- David Morphew - ProQuest Dissertation Prize (2019): Passionate Platonism: Plutarch on the Positive Role of Non-Rational Affects in the Good Life
SCS 2022 Talks
- Marshall Buchanan, "A New Type of Civil War in Tacitus"
- Andrew Mayo, "The Problem of Antiochus in Cicero's 'Academia'"
- Matteo Milesi, Peripatetic and Platonic Poetics in Porphyry's "Cave of the Nymphs"
- Rob Santucci, Hungry Eyes: Seneca’s Hostius Quadra as Eater
Alumni in the News
- Dissertation Spotlight: Language and Difference in Herodotus - Edward Nolan, Society for Classical Studies blog