- Prospective Students
- Current Students
- Interdepartmental Program in Ancient History (IPAH)
- Program in Ancient Philosophy
- Graduate Certificate in Classical Reception Studies
- Interdepartmental Program in Ancient Mediterranean Art and Archaeology (IPAMAA)
Please use the navigation bar for more information and departmental resources.
- Sara Panteri has a one-year fellowship at Tulane University before she takes up a position as Assistant Professor at Tulane University in Fall 2024.
- Malia Piper has been appointed Assistant Director of Faculty Teaching Initiatives at the Yale Poorvu Center for Teaching and Learning.
- Robert Santucci is Visiting Assistant Professor at Kalamazoo College, 2022-23.
Fellowships and Other Recognition
- Antonello Mastronardi has received a fellowship for 2023-24 from ANAMED, Research Center for Anatolian Civilization, at Koç University, Istanbul.
- Katie Mikos will be at the American School this summer, participating in a seminar titled “The Archaeology of Caves: Cult and Life Throughout the Ages.” She will also be a Rackham Public Engagement Fellow at UMMA in the Fall and has been invited to serve a 2-year term on the Presidential Advisory Committee on Public Art at U-M.
- Brittany Hardy won a Rackham predoctoral Fellowship for 2023-24 and was also selected as a 2023 Sweetland Graduate Fellow.
- Justin Barney received Honorable Mention in the Proquest Distinguished Dissertation Award competition for his thesis titled "Plato and Aristotle on the Efficacy of Religious Practice."
- Andrew Mayo’s article "Herophilus and Common Opinions" is accepted for publication by Greek, Roman and Byzantine Studies.
- Nine of our students will be delivering papers at the upcoming CAMWS meeting in Provo, UT: Joseph Droegemueller, Christine Ellis, Kaitlin Karmen, Sarah Keith, William LaMarra, Antonello Mastronardi, Andrew Mayo, Katie Mikos, Sara Yeager
Congratulations to our recent graduates:
- Alex Tarbet - Egyptian Folk Humor and Herodotus (Director: Sara Forsdyke)
- Rob Santucci - Seneca and the History of Roman Eating (Director: Ruth Caston and Basil Dufallo)
- Malia Piper - The Misunderstood Meretrix: Luxuria, Negotium, and Amicitia in Roman Comedy (Director: Ruth Caston)
- Justin Barney - Plato and Aristotle on the Efficacy of Religious Practice (Directors: Ruth Scodel and Richard Janko)
Visiting Assistant Professorship at Western Michigan University in Kalamazoo
- Anna Cornel - An Other View: Intersectional Identity in Classical Greece (Director: Sara Forsdyke)
Teacher of classical languages at Amadeus Lyceum in Vleuten, Utrecht, Netherlands.
- Marshall Buchanan - TLL Fellowship in 2023; author of articles on revilesco, ridica, reverso, and retundo
- Alex Tarbet - Institute for the Humanities Fellowship, 2022-23
- Justin Barney - Rackham Predoctoral Fellowship for 2021-2022
- David Morphew - ProQuest Dissertation Prize (2019): Passionate Platonism: Plutarch on the Positive Role of Non-Rational Affects in the Good Life
SCS 2023 Talks
- Amanda Kubic, "(Post) Modern Choreographies of Ovidian Metamorphosis in the Dances of Loie Fuller, Jody Sperling, and Kinetic Light"
- Fernando Gorab Leme, "'Theocritus' Helen gets herself married"
- Brittany Hardy, "The Tentacular Aesthetics of Pythian 12"
- Sara Panteri, "Platonic Philosophy in Hellenistic Alexandria: The Case of Eratosthenes of Cyrene"
Alumni in the News
- Dissertation Spotlight: Language and Difference in Herodotus - Edward Nolan, Society for Classical Studies blog