In Flight

Will I get served a meal on the plane and do I have to pay extra?

Many airlines offer in-flight dinner and/or breakfast when flying overseas. This is a complementary service and there is no additional fee. Airlines also generally offer snack items for sale in flight. It is also possible to buy food after the security checkpoint or during a layover. Low-budget flights generally do not provide complimentary food—you must pay extra for any food that you want in flight.

Can you lock your checked baggage?

You are allowed to lock your checked baggage, but if the lock is broken when it goes through security there will be no replacement.

I am flying domestically. When should I arrive at the airport?

With domestic travel, it is recommended that you arrive at the airport 2 hours ahead of flight departure time.

I am flying internationally. When should I arrive at the airport?

With international travel, it is recommended that you arrive at the airport 3 hours ahead of flight departure time.

What is the difference between nonstop flights and 1-stop or 2-stop flights?

A nonstop flight is generally more expensive than a flight with stops. Stops are also known as layovers. You need to consider time zone differences and how long your flight is. You might arrive on the following day due to a time-zone change. This is noted on your flight itinerary, and you should pay very close attention to these vital details.

What if my luggage is lost or stolen?

Airlines provide luggage tags when checking in to a flight—write your home address or the address where you are staying abroad. Often the luggage will be shipped to you, though it does take time to get to you. If it’s lost completely, you’ll fill out a form of everything that was lost and you’ll get partially reimbursed. If possible, pack some necessities and extra clothes in your carry-on, just in case your luggage is lost. Arriving earlier at the airport and avoiding very short layovers will help decrease your chances of lost luggage.