- Academic Policies and Processes
- Curriculum and Courses
- Financial Aid Resources
- Honors Program
- Law, Justice, and Social Change
- Major of the Month
- Project Community
- Sociology and Social Work Subplan
- Sociology of Health & Medicine
- SHM Subplan
- SHM Minor
- Sociology Major
- Sociology Opportunities for Undergraduate Leaders (SOUL)
- Sociology Undergraduate Research Opportunity - SOC 394
- Student Organizations
- Study Abroad
- Transfer Students and Transfer Credit
- What can I do with a Sociology degree?
- Writing Awards
SHM Subplan Requirements
Students have the option of adding a subplan in Sociology of Health & Medicine to their Sociology major. Courses in the SHM subplan offer students a coherent curriculum that emphasizes the socio-demographic, cultural, political, and ethical dimensions of health behavior and health policy.
Before declaring the Sociology major with a subplan in Health and Medicine, students must complete a pre-requisite course with a C- or better. The credits from the prerequisite course cannot be included in the 33 credits required to complete the major and subplan.
- First and second year students should enroll in either SOC 100: Intro to Soc, SOC 102: Intro to Soc: Special Topics, or SOC 195: Honors Intro to Soc.
- Third and fourth year students should enroll in either SOC 300: Principles and Problems of Sociology or SOC 302: Health & Society- Intro to Soc.
- A student must complete at least 12 credit hours with a C- or better from the following list of approved courses.
- A minimum of 8 credits must be elected in the Health and Medicine subplan at the 300-level or above (excluding prerequisite).
**^ This 300-level requirement does not apply to students who declared the minor Fall 2016 and prior
List of approved SHM subplan courses:
- SOC 207: Sociology of Suffering
- SOC 225: Project Community - Public Health sections
- SOC 230: Health & Population in South Africa
- SOC 325: Project Community: Advanced Practicum - Public Health sections
- SOC 330: Population Problems
- SOC 345: Sociology of Sexuality
- SOC 346: Sociology of the Body
- SOC 430: World Population Dynamics
- SOC 445: Diagnosis, Sex, & Society
- SOC 474: Social Inequalities in Health
- SOC 475: Health, Medicine, & Society
- SOC 476: Sociology of Bioethics
- SOC 477: Death & Dying
- appropriate topics in SOC 295, 394 (SURO), 395 (Independent Study), 396 (Internship), or 495
A maximum of six credits for the SHM sub plan may come from Experiential Learning or Independent Study style courses. Students with a subplan in Sociology of Health & Medicine are not permitted to also elect a minor in Sociology of Health & Medicine.