The History PhD program operates under the Horace H. Rackham School of Graduate Studies. The admissions page on Rackham Graduate School's website provides detailed instructions for applying for graduate studies at the University of Michigan. In addition to the application, various supporting documents are required by the History program. All of these should be uploaded to the application. IMPORTANT: Please black out social security numbers on transcripts before uploading them.
Please do not submit an online application before September 8, 2021. Our deadline for submittal of the online application and all supporting documents is December 1, 2021 at 11:59 PM (EST).
- Complete an Online Application (You must have a valid credit card to apply).
- Register your three faculty recommenders with the online application. This is usually done well before the application is submitted.
- Upload your Personal Statement and the Academic Statement of Purpose to the online application.
- Upload a writing sample.
- Upload a CV.
- Upload PDF scans of the offical transcripts. See Rackahm page on transcripts for more information.
Take all required tests.
Please be sure that the University of Michigan (institution code 1839) is indicated on the recipient list for all test scores (TOEFL, MELAB, IELTS) so that scores are sent to U-M electronically.Test results must be received by University of Michigan no later than Dec. 1. Please be aware that it can take 1-2 weeks for the electronic transmission to occur.
Do not mail printed copies of the application and uploaded materials—they will be received by the department and Rackham, electronically, through the online application website.
If an offer of admission is extended, send official transcripts to Rackham Graduate School.
- One set of official, final, undergraduate and/or graduate transcripts, with your degree posted
- One set of official undergraduate or graduate transcripts for programs that are in progress
- E-transcript Instructions: Request the Registrar (or Recorder of Records) send an electronic transcript and Transcripts/Academic Records Submission Form to email@example.com. The transcripts cannot be an email attachment or forwarded email.
- Mailing address (e-transcripts preferred. Mail a copy only if e-transcript option is not available along with and Transcripts/Academic Records Submission Form:
Rackham Graduate School
Attn: Transcripts/U-M ID# or Transcripts/Date of Birth (mm/dd/yyyy)
915 E. Washington Street
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1070
Please Note: No materials should be mailed to the History Department. Everything should be uploaded to the online application. Transcripts should be sent directly to Rackham.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.