Graduate students apply to the Department of History in conjunction with the Horace H. Rackham Graduate School. In addition to the materials on our website, you should review the admissions section on the Rackham Graduate School website. The Rackham site has an excellent FAQ that addresses questions most people have when applying.
Our firm deadline is Dec. 1 at 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time.
Admissions questions? Contact the History program by email: email@example.com.
Application Fee Waivers for Fall 2022 Applications - Requests due November 18, 2021
We have a limited number of fee waivers for US Citizens, DACA recipeients, and international students. If you do not qualify any of Rackham's fee waivers, but meet the requirements below, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org providing proof and an explanation of your eligibility based on the following:
- Have a record of superior academic achievement (e.g., grade point average, honors, or other designation)
- Are U.S. citizen, permanent residents, or undocumented students with Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA).
- AND must meet one or more of the following:
- Come from an educational, cultural or geographic background that is underrepresented in graduate study in your discipline in the United States or at the University of Michigan;
- Have demonstrated a commitment to diversity in the academic, professional, or civic realm through their work experience, volunteer engagement, or leadership of student or community organizations. By diversity, we mean efforts to reduce social, educational or economic disparities based on race, ethnicity or gender, or to improve race relations in the U.S.;
- Have experienced financial hardship as a result of family economic circumstances;
- Are a first generation U.S. citizen or first generation in your family to graduate from a four‐ year college.
Please keep in mind that race, ethnicity, gender, or national origin may not be used as a criteria for requesting an application fee waiver.