Graduate students apply to the Department of History in conjunction with the Horace H. Rackham Graduate School. In addition to the materials on our website, you should review the admissions section on the Rackham Graduate School website. The Rackham site has an excellent FAQ that addresses questions most people have when applying.
Applications for Fall 2024 will open on August 31, 2023. Our firm deadline is Dec. 1 at 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time.
Admissions questions? Contact the History program by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Fee Waivers for Fall 2024 Applications - Requests are due November 16, 2023
Update September 22, 2023: We have run out of fee waivers for international students. US Citizens and DACA recipients are still able to apply. Please see the directions below.
We have a limited number of fee waivers for US Citizens and DACA recipients. If you do not qualify for any of Rackham's fee waivers, but meet the requirements below, send an email to email@example.com providing proof and an explanation of your eligibility based on the following:
- Have a record of superior academic achievement (e.g., grade point average, honors, or other designation)
- Are U.S. citizen, permanent residents, or undocumented students with Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA).
- AND must meet one or more of the following:
- Come from an educational, cultural, or geographic background that is underrepresented in graduate study in your discipline in the United States or at the University of Michigan;
- Have demonstrated a commitment to diversity in the academic, professional, or civic realm through their work experience, volunteer engagement, or leadership of student or community organizations. By diversity, we mean efforts to reduce social, educational, or economic disparities based on race, ethnicity, or gender, or to improve race relations in the U.S.;
- Have experienced financial hardship as a result of family economic circumstances;
- Are a first generation U.S. citizen or first generation in your family to graduate from a four‐ year college.
Please keep in mind that race, ethnicity, gender, or national origin may not be used as a criteria for requesting an application fee waiver.