As Megan Day goes through life there’s a narrator in her mind. Sometimes it's helpful, reminding her what she needs from the store or what’s on her to-do list. Other times, it’s introspective and she plays out an emotionally-charged debate in her head.

“A lot of times, I don't actually follow through, but I feel better afterwards because I've had the internal dialogue with myself on how I'm feeling,” the 40-year-old mom and Stella and Dot consultant in Cincinnati told TODAY.

Like others, she was really surprised when she came across a blog a week ago about "internal monologues" that dropped a bombshell: Not everyone has one.

“I was totally shocked,” she said. “I can’t imagine not having that in their brains, like the voice in your head isn’t coming through. It just blew my mind.”

While the blog sparked debate between the haves and have nots, experts agree that everyone has some sort of internal monologue.

“We do all, in fact, have what we colloquially refer to as an inner voice,” Ethan Kross, director of the Self-Control and Emotion Laboratory at the University of Michigan, told TODAY. “If I were to ask you to read a passage in your head or silently repeat the phone number when you're trying to memorize it or rehearse something that you're about to say to someone else, you're activating that inner voice.”

Read the full article at TODAY.