- Accelerated Master's Degree Program
- Career/Internship Exploration
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Honors Program
- Major in Psychology or BCN
- Photos & Videos
- Preparing for Graduate School
- Registration and Grades
- Service Learning Opportunities
- STAR Scholars Program
- Student Organizations
- Student Resources
- Study Abroad
- Subject Pool
- Transfer Credit
The Psychology Student Academic Affairs Office offers Peer and Staff Advising to undergraduate students. Peer Advisors are current Psych and BCN majors with extensive training to help guide you. Our staff advising team is composed of full-time Staff Advisors and current UM Graduate Students from the Psychology PhD program and the Master's of Social Work Program.
Our office is located at 1343 East Hall. You can reach us by phone at 734-764-2580. Click here to review our FAQs.
Please use the information on this page to learn more about how to receive our services!
Winter 2023 Walk-In Advising Schedule
Peer Advisors are available in the Psychology Student Academic Affairs Office (1343 East Hall) on a walk-in basis Monday - Friday (excluding university holidays/breaks) during the Winter 2023 semester to help with all your Psych/BCN advising needs. Click here to read peer advisor bios & see who is working when.
Walk-In Peer Advising Schedule:
|9am-1pm||9am-2pm||9am-12pm & 2-4pm||10am-12pm & 1-3pm||1-3pm|
*On Thurs. 4/6, advising will be available from 10am-3pm.
**On Fri. 4/7, advising will be available from 1-2pm.
Walk-In Advising with Staff Advisors will also be available during undergraduate registration, from Mon. 3/27/23 - Fri. 4/7/23 , at the same time as the Peer Advising times listed above.
Drop-In Online Advising
Peer advisors are available for drop-in online advising Monday - Friday (excluding university holidays/breaks) during the fall and winter terms. Join the online Office Hours Queue to get advising from a Peer Advisor during the times listed below! When it's your turn, the Office Hours Queue will display a Zoom link for you to join a meeting with a Peer Advisor.
Winter 2023 Drop-In Online Peer Advising Schedule:
Monday through Wednesday: 3-4pm
Thursday & Friday: 11am-12pm
Before You See an Advisor
Please review the Psych dept. FAQs, which has answers to many common advising questions.
IF YOU ARE DECLARING YOUR MAJOR: You must complete the major course prerequisites and the Online Orientation process found on our How to Declare page. After completing all those steps, you may declare your major by meeting with a Peer Advisor during the Fall and Winter semesters, or meeting with a Staff Advisor during the Spring and Summer semesters.
IF YOU ARE A GRADUATING SENIOR IN NEED OF A MAJOR RELEASE: You do NOT need to meet with an advisor. Submit a request for your major release from home by following the steps on this page.
IF YOU HAVE REGISTRATION QUESTIONS: First, read the Registration FAQs. If your question isn't answered there, most other registration questions can be answered without an appointment by calling our office at 734-764-2580 or emailing us at email@example.com.
Registration issues we can help with:
- Getting into a class for which you have transfer credit for an enforced prerequisite: Once your enrollment appointment is active, you must have the course and discussion number of a section with open seats available (ex. Psych 240-012) and you must be able to register immediately.
- Questions about enrollment restrictions or you aren’t able to enroll in a class.
- Questions about our waitlist policy.
Registration issues we cannot help with:
- Course is full: we cannot over-enroll a full course. Only the instructor may consider such requests; however, it is unlikely as most classrooms do not have space for additional students beyond the course's stated enrollment capacity. Visit our Registration page for more information on requesting permission into a full course.
- You don't meet the prerequisites: Only the instructor may consider allowing you to enroll in a course for which you do not meet the prerequisites.
Peer advisors are available every day class is in session during the fall and winter semesters. There is NO peer advising during university breaks, including MLK Day and Spring Break. The last day of peer advising for Winter 2023 is Tuesday, 4/18/23 (the last day of classes).
In-person walk-in Peer Advising: See the schedule posted above. Visit the Psychology SAA Office at 1343 EH and sign in on the iPad at the front desk.
Online drop-in Peer Advising: See the schedule & additional information posted above under "Drop-In Online Advising".
Want to Be a Peer Advisor?
Click the button below to learn more!
Staff advisors offer online and in-person advising appointments year round, except during university holidays. All appointments are in Eastern time (Ann Arbor time). Appointments are not offered during peak advising times: the first two weeks of the fall and winter semesters; and the registration period. During peak times, advising help is available on a walk-in basis. See the section above on this page for more information.