WAGSFP Summer Fellows

The community of scholars who participate in Women and Gender Summer Fellowship Program will also engage in programming throughout the summer in addition to their research. Students will participate in seminars to learn more about current and emerging research in women and gender studies, read and share articles related to research in women and gender studies, learn how to publish their research and engage in other professional development activities. 

2024 Summer Fellows

Mariana Bowring

Why did you choose to get into research?
The reason I chose to get into research is because I care very deeply for all people, but especially for those who have been marginalized or left out of the conversation. I believe in using all of the privilege I have to make space for people and voices that deserve representation. My research interests have a very strong focus on social justice issues that center around topics that include pregnancy, reproductive justice, queer women, racism that exists in feminism, sex education, and how Title IX has been affecting both faculty and students across college campuses in the United States. I hope to use what I learn through research to affect change in the world.

Chloe Brookes

Joining a university with the resources it has, I knew that I wanted to make the most of my experience and make a mark in any way that I could. Contributing to work larger than myself is incredibly important to me, and there Isn’t a better use of my time than spending it researching among others that help grow my understanding and learning in places that harbor creativity and intellect. I am incredibly passionate about Psychology and Women’s and Gender Studies, making my involvement in labs that so closely align with these interests both academically and personally fulfilling.

Anisha Chopra

I chose to get into research because I admire the way scholars collect, analyze, and draw conclusions from data. I want to learn about these processes and explore different techniques. As someone dedicated to public service, there must be facts behind a message and I would gain a new perspective from being on the research side of a project. I also value connecting with others and through research, I would gain a larger network of peers and mentors. Being in an environment with diverse perspectives would push me to learn more about myself, my team, and our research goals.

Shannon Dame

I am thrilled to be able to get into research because I’ve always been fascinated by the amazing work that comes from it, and I’m excited to learn and contribute to those processes. I think that research is a great opportunity for me to use my skills to make a difference, and I’m especially drawn by the prospect of improving women’s health.

Malee Davis

I chose to get into research because it is a different way of learning compared to the traditional classroom setting. Research requires using a mostly new skill set compared to book learning. It is for that reason I am interested in WGS research specifically (as a new mode of applying what I have learned).

Emily Estrada

Research opens doors to many opportunities where I can expand my knowledge of both economics and law and begin to build my presence in the fields relevant to addressing the injustices present in our society. I hope to shed light on often overlooked subjects and bring awareness to the effects they may have on certain populations. Additionally, while I believe classes have provided a foundation of information that I have educationally benefited from, research introduces a chance to directly interact with observational data and any ongoing developments.

Abbie Johnson

I chose to go into research to delve deeper into the topics that interest me and contribute to the broader knowledge of topics related to gender studies. As someone who wants to work directly with people in the future, I also want to use what I learn in research to make me a more holistic professional and bring knew knowledge to my future workplace.

Maddison Linker

I entered the research field for the endless opportunities to contribute to work that can make positive changes within communities. My strong desire to produce literature and discuss my findings to educate others and spread awareness upon important issues has driven my wanting to join research. Through personal work and research production, I can pave the way to make real changes within policies and the education system that are needed to ensure equity for all people and in all domains of work. My experience in research programs will foster my skills to change the world for the better.

Angel Noble

Research is the perfect intersection between my aspirations as a Public Health major on the pre-medical track. Research would allow me to explore my academic interests and pursue my curiosities for the sciences while contributing to work that will have tangible implications on our world.

Abby Schreck

I wanted to get into research to contribute to projects and work that I believe is important. Participating in WAGSFP allows me to both explore topics, projects, and methodologies I'm interested in and think makes the world a more just and informed place while also growing in my own skills and confidence in research.

WAGSFP Past Cohorts

WAGSFP Blog

To learn more about the WAGSFP summer fellowship, please check out the WAGSFP Blog.