Support for ULWR Courses
The Sweetland Center for Writing approves the departmental curricular offerings that satisfy the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts Upper-Level Writing Requirement (ULWR). The Upper-Level Writing Requirement, which may be completed in the major, must be fulfilled by all students in LSA in order to graduate. The ULWR builds upon the skills and strategies developed in first-year writing courses by providing upper-division students with a significant writing experience that refines their ability to write effectively both within and beyond specific disciplines. ULWR courses foreground attention to the writing process, with structured opportunities for feedback and revision. These courses are taught in all departments and programs in LSA, and assignments reflect the range of writing activities and forms typical of academic and professional contexts.
The Sweetland Center for Writing supports the ULWR by
- establishing course guidelines and developing models for writing instruction
- approving ULWR-designated courses;
- funding and training GSIs to assist in writing instruction;
- offering consultation for faculty designing or revising a ULWR course
To propose or renew a ULWR course
- Review the ULWR Sample Proposal and Syllabi provided below.
- Download and complete the ULWR Course Proposal Form (.docx).
- If you're teaching a large class and need GSI support from the Sweetland Center for Writing, download and complete the GSI Support Request Form (.doc).
- To engage in advance with the training your GSIs receive, visit the Writing 993: Teaching Writing in the Disciplines course website.
- Submit the completed forms along with an updated course syllabus to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Approved proposals are considered current for 5 years or until there is a new instructor or a change in the curriculum; after that, the course proposal must be renewed. Please note: all ULWR courses must be offered for a minimum of 3 credits and have a course number of 300 or higher.
Winter 2023 ULWR course offerings from departments are due Monday, September 19, 2022.
Spring/Summer 2023 ULWR course offerings from departments are due Monday, October 24, 2022.
Please send them via email to email@example.com
ULWR Course Proposal Workshop
Tuesday, September 27, 2022 from 11-12pm via Zoom
A hands-on workshop where instructors can receive feedback on draft ULWR course proposals, learn about ULWR resources and support, and explore best practices for teaching disciplinary writing. Instructors interested in attending should email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up in advance.
For support designing or rethinking a ULWR course
See our Teaching Resources page for help with some of the elements required for ULWR courses, including materials on Sequencing and Scaffolding Assignments, Giving Feedback on Student Writing, Using Peer Review to Improve Student Writing, and Integrating Low-Stakes Writing Into Large Classes, among many other topics.
We can also help design a course, create assignments for an existing course, or adapt a current course to meet the ULWR criteria. To schedule a consultation with the Sweetland Center for Writing, please send an email to email@example.com.