Psychology Doctoral Students (including our Joint Programs) are required to teach throughout their tenure. Students must apply each term they are expected to teach. Current U of M Graduate Students outside of the Psychology program are welcome to apply.
General Timeline For Graduate Student Instructor (GSI) Hiring Process:
Psychology GSI positions are posted at http://careers.umich.edu/ for 2 weeks.
- Fall term GSI Posting: posting available in early February. Tentative GSI assignments should be announced the end of March.
- Winter term GSI Posting: posting available in mid October of the prior year. Tentative GSI assignments should be announced the end of of November.
Each job posting contains specific instructions on how to apply. Please note the application will request the following documents be combined into a single pdf and attached to the application:
- For Applicants in the PSYCHOLOGY Dept. or affiliated program (i.e., CPEP, Joint Psych & SW, Joint Psych & Women’s Studies, or Neuroscience):
- CV/Resume - ALL applicants (including Psych Grad students) must attach a CV or Resume to this application.
- Teaching Evaluations
- B) For Applicants from ALL OTHER PROGRAMS:
- CV/Resume - ALL applicants must attach a CV or Resume to this application.
- Teaching Evaluations - ALL applicants who have held a U of M GSI appointment PRIOR to the current term must attach the Instructor Report for the course evaluations from ALL courses previously taught.
- UM transcript (unofficial) - OR, if this is your first term at UM, please submit an Unofficial undergraduate transcript. How to locate your U of M unofficial transcript
- Letter of recommendation - it is highly preferable that letters of rec. be included in the single pdf file, but the recommender may email the letter to email@example.com if needed.
- Letter from a representative of your program of enrollment who can confirm that you are in good standing and that teaching will not interfere with progress towards your degree (can be from an Office Administrator in your department).
Decision Making and Selection Process:
Faculty recommendations, relevance to graduate training and academic preparation for teaching the course are considered. Psychology Ph. D graduate students will have priority in placement. Faculty review applications for positions in their courses and note their preferences and indicate any applicants deemed unqualified.
Please send specific questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.